1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Supply

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by scrapbook, Oct 5, 2004.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    A quick question if i may.

Just updated my processor and motherboard and having a few problems and was just wondering how common it was for a power supply to be the problem?

Currently trying to run a Gigabyte motherboard - GA-7S748, AMD 2000+, AGP card, memory, cd rom etc etc

I have a 350W power supply.

The problem I am having is that the system seems to want to boot up only every now and again i.e. the bios doesnt start up, nothing happens, the led indicator on the board does light up, although the processor fan is running.

On the times that it does work, the system may freeze after say 15 mins.

I was wondering if i it could be that i needed a bit more juice or does none of my symptons sound as though it could be down to the power supply?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    350W should be more than enough for an AMD 2000-based system.

Such problems can be hard to pin-down, my recent HTPC build exhibited similar though not as frequent problems and in the end I put it down to the mobo not liking dual-channel memory. I think with your symptoms I'd also start off blaming the memory and see what I could fiddle with in the BIOS and/or memory configuration to try to prove it or not.

Lockups could also be heat related but obviously boot-up problems are highly unlikely to be down to that.

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Check that the CPU is seated properly as well. take it out and put it backin again, make sure there are no bent pins. do the same with the memory. If that fails to fix it then you'll need to try each component in a different machine to verify that it works properly, easy enough if you have another one, not so good if you don't :(

Does the MB give any indication of why its not booting up, some have things like audible boot warnings or LEDs which indicate which part of the boot sequnce they get to before falling down.

4. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    How many hard disks?
    I had a similar problem when I had 3 HDDs + CDRW + DVD. Removed a HDD and all OK.

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I am coming to the conclusion it may be the memory, probably the only thing I hadn't considered as yet. Although I need to double check the processor aswell.

The motherboard has a Ram LED which only comes on when the system boots. Obviously when the system refuses to boot the LED remains off.

I never considered teh memory a problem as it worked in previous MB and in theory is compatible with the new one aswell.

I had put the problems down to dodgy graphic card not letting anything to work, but I guess the Ram LED would still light if that were the case?

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The lighting of the LED could be affected by a dodgy PCI card, depening on whether the 'dodginess' affected the power-rails for example.

As for the memory being okay in a previous MB, that was my situation as well, the problem was when it was configured as dual-channel in the new mobo, put it in as single channel and no problem.

FYI, I'm running 5 disks and a DVD writer off a QTech 350w and nothing is complaining, albeit it probably should ;), and that's with a 2.8 P4 + 1Gb memory.

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Well i did think originally that the problem stemmed from an AGP compatability problem. The MB supports AGP cards at 1.5v, but it looks as though both my original card, Radeon 7000 and Radeon 9200 should work. Although the system seems to but very rarely with the 9200 installed.

I have no other cards installed - it is only the kids computer!

Will try the new memory stick i purchased at lunch time. Changing from dual layer to single layer can be down in the BIOS I assume?

I will also try the old duron chip just to rule that out.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't know your mobo but usually boards capable of running dual-channel have 2 pairs of memory slots and to use DC you put one strip in each pair .. to force single-channel simply put them both in the first pair, at boot time the BIOS usually displays a message indicating whether it's running dual or single channel .. I don't recall seeing a BIOS setting that controls this, with my DC boards it auto-detects based on the location of the memory strips.

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't know your mobo but usually boards capable of running dual-channel have 2 pairs of memory slots (Gigabyte sometimes have 2 sets of 3 slots) and to use DC you put one strip in each pair .. to force single-channel simply put them both in the first pair, at boot time the BIOS usually displays a message indicating whether it's running dual or single channel .. I don't recall seeing a BIOS setting that controls this, with my DC boards it auto-detects based on the location of the memory strips.

10. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Ok, well touch wood I think i have sussed the problem. Found by complete luck!

Was messing around with changing AGP cards around so much that i gave up screwing the plate in. All of a sudden computer worker fine and booted half a dozen times on the row!

So I screwed in the card and bugger me it didn't start up. Wiggled the card a little and hey presto! I have a Gigabyte MB that seems to have a rather unique method of fixing the AGP card at the pointy end, doesn't seem to do a very good good so as I screwed down the plate the pointy end was raising a little!!!

Anyway I now have a spare stick of memory (having brought some to problem solve). DO motherboards allow for two sorts to be installed at the same time?

i.e. original stick was PC2100, new stick is PC2700. MB in case you need to know s GA7S748.