Power supply interference

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Rich B, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Rich B

Rich B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im getting visible electrical interference (showing on my tv). I have the following set up.

Two wall sockets, one with a 6 way extension bar plugged in to it.
    The extension bar has the following plugged in.
    Sky+ box
    Xbox 360
    Sony Bluray bdp350
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD player
    LG 42" LF75 LCD TV
    Small 7w lamp

The other socket has my Yamaha RX V3900 plugged in.

The problem is each morning i can see some interference lines on the tv when watching Sky. It doesnt happen when using xbox or bluray. The interference looks like horizontal lines of pixels, about 6" long randomly appearing,jumping around the screen. There is only ever one line visible at a time.
    This made me think the problem was with the Sky box, however if i unplug the Sky box altogether it still leaves the line of interference on the tv, however the line of interference stays perfectly still, dead centre on the screen.
    Switching the power bar off at the wall for a moment (leaving the Yamaha on) then back on gets rid of the interference.. until the next day. It seems it could some sort of build up that needs clearing every day.

Would some sort of surge protector or conditioner sort the problem?
    Which one should i try since prices range from £12 to £200.. I was in Superfi the other week and they recommended one for £40 that was a what-hi-fi 5* winner, dont recall the name but i said id have a look around first.

2. Rich B

Rich B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    no thoughts anyone?

having to switch the power off at the mains to clear it must point to something?

3. Oversleep

Oversleep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    might want to try Belkin Pure AV purifier sockets, tacima mains conditioner to start with.

try to use few equipments at a time to find out which is causing the interference....

keep us post it what you find out which does/do it...

4. deckingman

deckingman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Strange problem to which I don't have an answer. Curious as to why you think it is mains born interfernce though. Is there some particular piece of equipment in you house, which is only on when you see the problem? I guess if there were, then switching this off would prove it.

5. Rich B

Rich B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    yes thats why i tend to think its main related.
    Originally i just started unplugging one thing at a time.. but it doesnt work.. i can unplug everything connected to the extension bar and still have interference (apart from the tv else i wont be able to see if i still have interference).

Switching the extention bar off at the wall with everything still connected still clears it everytime.
    I really do suspect something is not right with the mains supply in that corner of the room.

In the last 12mths the following electrical items have all died being plugged in there.
    Yamaha DSP-A1
    Sky+ box
    Two Xbox 360's

Quite possibly just co-incidence but does concern me when i keep seeing interference appearing. Just this weekend gone i was just about to switch everything off for the night when there was a frazzle kind of noise from behind the equipment rack, followed by a pop and everything went off for a second! Including the Yamaha RX-v3900 which is plugged in to its own socket. The house lights and everything else stayed on so it was not a power cut.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  6. deckingman

deckingman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    That last comment sounds very dodgy and you need to be concerned!

I strongly advise you get the socket(s) that your AV gear is plugged into, checked out. The "frazzle" sounds like there could be a loose connection somewhere, either the wiring to the socket or within the socket itself. This will cause arcing and could potentially lead to a fire.

If you are reasonably competent, turn the circuit off at the consumer unit (usualy an rcd these days), then remove the socket and look for any signs of blackening. If not, call an electrician to check it out ASAP.

7. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,797
    yup...agreed. pops and power cuts are not good. if you don't know that you are doing get an electrician in soon. if it were me i wouldn't use any of your av equipment in that socket or even that spur until it was checked

8. Rich B

Rich B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    mmm..
    right to be concerned then.

Ive just arranged for a sparky to come take a look thanks.

9. deckingman

deckingman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Let us know how you get on and also if it cures your problem with the "telly".

10. Rich B

Rich B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    will do..

11. Rich B

Rich B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    well he had a look, checked the wiring, earths and then did a resistance test and said everything was 'ok' but that there did appear to be a slight break down in insulation somewhere.. 1ohm resistance or something he said.
    He said that it was ok but not ideal for my use.
    he replaced two of the socket faces in line to the main circuit just in case they were beginning to break down.

He recommended i try getting a supply conditioner thing..
    he mentioned the one i think SuperFi did, it won the 5star rating in a recent test. He couldnt remember the name,
    does anyone know which one it was??

Its a bar multisocket type for under £50?

12. Rich B

Rich B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    just an update.. but since he replaced the wall socket ive not had the interference.

13. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. deckingman

deckingman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Good news.

15. Rich B

Rich B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You are a star Andy!
    Ive just moved house last week, and everytime i open or close the fridge door the tv sound goes off and the picture freezes for a second :suicide:

Im going to order that conditioner and see if it helps.

thanks.

Ive also got issues with my Xbox signal in the new place too (never did this in the last house).
    Every now and again the picture goes black for a couple of seconds and the tv displays no signal! (the sound also goes at the same time).
    Ive not tried swapping the HDMI from the Xbox to the amp yet but guess thats my first port of call.
    The only change to the current wiring set up compared to how it was in my original post is that i no longer have a sky box. The TV aerial is connected directly to the LG TV then i run fibre optic from the tv to the Yamaha Amp. The Xbox is still connected as before - HDMI from Xbox to the Yamaha and then HDMI from the Yamaha out to the TV.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  16. Rich B

Rich B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    for anyone else having similar issues.

The conditioner hasnt stopped the pic freezing problem,

but, ive managed to sort the Xbox problem.
    All i did was disconnect all the HDMI leads and swapped them round (swapped the lead from the xbox to the amp with the one from the amp to the tv)
    problem solved,
    I read something about HDMI 'handshakes' getting confused sometimes, whatever it was its fine now.