Power Supply Connector Question for ITX pc

Spoof

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding my parents sff computer. It takes ITX motherboard for which I have just purchased a zotac one as an update. The case limits the power supply to those special style server 1U/Flex atx ones which doesn't matter as I have a shuttle PC60 300W 80+ I have bought for it.

Problem this morning when installing the new zotac itx board is that is utilises the 24pin connector (I know most board have this now but the old mobo I removed utilised the 20pin one) and my power supply is only 20pin connector.

I've done some reading on the web and it seems that I can still plug in the 20pin connector into the 24pin header on the motherboard or get a 20pin to 24pin extender cable. so my question is really just wanting to know if this would hinder the computer at all by doing this? Looking on wikipedia, it seems that the extra pins (going from 20pin to 24pin [pins:11,12,23,24]) just adds a +12V,+3.3V,+5V and GND respectively which already exist on the 20pin layout.
Will be very grateful if someone has any knowledge on this as not sure what to do or if my PSU is lets say 'at risk'. There are flex supplies out there that do come with the standard 24pin connection but dont really want to throw out the current one if I really have to. Any advice well taken.
...Oh forgot to mention that the PC60 supply has two 12V rails rated each at 14A and will be powering an e8400 and 5570 on a new itx board.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom