power strip / surge protector for AV equipment

michaelgordon

I wasnt sure where to put this but i feel i need to ask but just from a little reading i could be a can or worms question like speaker/rca/hdmi cables improve or dont do anything type question.

I need a new power strip adapter with surge protector 12 way if possible so i googled this and found this on what hifi of a power strip, the Tacuma CS974

OUR VERDICT​

About the most startling upgrade £45 can make

FOR​

• Allows greater detail, greater attack and greater dynamics
  • Pretty affordable

AGAINST​

• Squeezes the soundstage somewhat
  • Can impact on treble adversely
What does this mean and how on earth can the thing a plug is plugged into have any effect whatso ever on the sound output of a device?

I have never actually looked into surge protectors before but this reads like snake oil, i have never really heard a difference between speaker cables ive tried, albeit never anything more than £20 per m cable, nor have i seen a difference between bundles and priceier rcs cables (i buy better for build quality)

onto my questions, A is something like the above actually necessary and the What hihi percived benefits real

B Can anyone recommend something decent or just a standard like this be ok Amazon product

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Audiophile Snake Oil vs. Snake Oil.

Read the small print on any Surge Protection device and you will find they only work as part of a ‘whole house’ protection scheme, which folk would very rarely ever invest in and when they are ‘working’ they have a finite life as they have to slowly sacrifice their protection components.

Joe

westom

I have never actually looked into surge protectors before but this reads like snake oil, i have never really heard a difference between speaker cables ive tried, albeit never anything more than £20 per m cable, nor have i seen a difference between bundles and priceier rcs cables (i buy better for build quality)
Start with what electronic power supplies do. First AC power is filtered. Then all AC power and noise is converted to DC voltages. Then filtered again.

Then that DC voltage is converted to well over 300 volt radio frequency spikes. Now AC power is 'dirtiest'. Galvanic isolation, more filters, and regulators convert that into DC voltages that do not vary by even 0.2 volts.

Dirtiest power is already created by electronics. Then electronics convert that 'dirtiest' power into 'cleanest'. Best solutions are already inside electronics.

Voltage can vary so much that incandescent bulbs dim to 50% intensity or double intensity. And still those DC voltages (that power all audio hardware) do not vary even by 0.2 volts. How does anything on AC mains affect sound? It doesn't. At least not currents trying to get through that power supply.

How does noise get into a system and subvert sound? Other wires. How can an adjacent protector subvert sound? It can connect noise or other transients on another wire that connects directly to electronics boards.

One does not cure symptoms with expensive add-on equipment. One always first learns / defines a problem. Solutions are discussed later.

But that is not what magic strip protectors, et al recommend. They say "We know what will solve everything. Trust me."

Worse, they make claims that are subjective. Any recommendation made without saying why and without citing relevant specification numbers is always considered a lie - by educated consumers. Nothing in plug-in protectors even claims effective protection from surges.

Protection from transients that can damage electronics means that protection must also exist for everything - clock radio, refrigerator, doorbell, LED & CFL bulbs, central air, GFCIs, digital clocks, dishwasher, furnace, recharging electronics, TVs, stove, and smoke detectors.

Effective protection from that anomaly is only provided by protectors properly sized and properly earthed. Those come with numbers that claim protection from all destructive transients including direct lightning strikes. For example, lightning can be 20,000 amps. So a minimal 'whole house' protector is 50,000 amps. Since effective protectors must remains functional for many decades after many direct lightning strikes. And are necessary to protect some of the least robust appliances in a house: plug-in protectors. An example of why:

Numbers: surges large enough to damage appliances can be hundreds of thousands of joules. How many joules will destroy that magic strip protector? Thousands? Where is the protection? Demonstrated is why scam work only when numbers are withheld or ignored.

One properly earthed 'whole house' protector costs about $1 per protected appliance. Why do many spending massively more for protectors that do not even claim effective protection? Subjective propaganda exists (promotes a con) when one does not always demand relevant numbers.

TravellerSeko

Hi folks,
I need to buy surge protected extension lead for my TV and I have seen this thread.

Which one do you recommend? I am in between below ones.

APC Surge Arrest Essential - PM5-UK - 5 outlets - Equipment Protection Policy 50.000 € Amazon product

Masterplug SRGLSU42PB-MP Four Socket Switched Inline Power Surge Protected Extension Lead with Two USB Charging Ports, 2 Metres, Gloss Black Amazon product

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As per many posts in the Thread you have to be clear about any 'surge protection' capabilities of the devices you are expecting/wanting to rely upon!

The APC has the benefit of not passing power when it stops offering the limited protection it does offer.

The important facts for you to consider are the T&C's of the two manufacturers:

APC - Our Equipment Protection Policy

MasterPlug - Surge Warranty - Masterplug Portable Power - Masterplug UK

Joe

TravellerSeko

As per many posts in the Thread you have to be clear about any 'surge protection' capabilities of the devices you are expecting/wanting to rely upon!

The APC has the benefit of not passing power when it stops offering the limited protection it does offer.

The important facts for you to consider are the T&C's of the two manufacturers:

APC - Our Equipment Protection Policy

MasterPlug - Surge Warranty - Masterplug Portable Power - Masterplug UK

Joe
Thanks much

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic 2022 OLED TV hands-on, Picture Settings Discussions, Hi-Fi and AV News & More
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom