1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Strip settings for Panny PWD6 - Newbie requires help finding optimum settings

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DJW, Apr 19, 2005.

1. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

After spending numerous hours searching for advice on this subject I'm starting to get despondent :rolleyes: I've read lots of information, but not much definitive actions to take in detail.......... lots of playing / guessing seems to be the order of the day.

Is there a place on the web where people share their optimum settings for Powerstrip for certain graphics cards & Plasma displays ? Currently have Sapphire Atlantic Radeon 9600 graphics card . Using PowerDVD .

I currently have a jerky picture at 856x480 (also tried 848x480) & playing with time setting I find I cannot improve greatly & really have no idea to increase or decrease settings accordingly. I have experimented for hours but feel I am getting nowhere. I assume if someone has same Graphics card & Display then same settings could be used, saving others hours of time :) ?

Any help appreciated , before I give up & go back to a DVD player :suicide:. I'm sure there must be many others like me who delve int HTPC to only realise they don't have the time available to setup everything.

Cheers Dave

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't have the same display, though I do use the same card, but what settings are you after? PowerDVD is pretty limited in what you can twiddle with. It uses its' own codec, you can't select the renderer AFAIK (it uses Overlay I believe) and it uses hardware-assisted decoding. I have PDVD 5, not tried 6 so don't know if that has more tweaks.

Please elaborate on your definition of 'jerky', there are many different types of 'stutter', 'judder' etc.

Most caused in software-based systems when CPU overloading is a problem, that shouldn't really be a problem here .. check the Task Manager 'Performance' tab and look at the CPU loading. What CPU do you have?

If the problem is mainly on large pans it's likely to be not using the correct refresh rate, if your planel can take multiple rates. How are you connecting the PC to the plasma?

About right. An HTPC can give superb results but rarely without a battle.

As for giving up on the HTPC .. I did eventually but not without expense to obtain an equal or better PQ.

3. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply KraGorn

Answers below:-

I don't have the same display, though I do use the same card, but what settings are you after? PowerDVD is pretty limited in what you can twiddle with. It uses its' own codec, you can't select the renderer AFAIK (it uses Overlay I believe) and it uses hardware-assisted decoding. I have PDVD 5, not tried 6 so don't know if that has more tweaks.
    A: Struggling with tweaks to powerstrip, let alone codec's etc . Getting frightened now ;)

Please elaborate on your definition of 'jerky', there are many different types of 'stutter', 'judder' etc.
    A: Firstly the picture still look svery digitial / pixelated. The ehwn watching any movement or a person mouth when speaking it seems to be missing frames .....it almost looks speeded up. In addition on wide pans it is almost as though certain horizintal lines get left behind by 10% or so, before cathcing up.

Most caused in software-based systems when CPU overloading is a problem, that shouldn't really be a problem here .. check the Task Manager 'Performance' tab and look at the CPU loading. What CPU do you have?
    A: complete spec below:-
    Enermax whisper power supply 350w
    Asus TUSL-2 motherboard
    Intel Tualatin Celeron 1.4ghz CPU
    Zalman CNPS6000-Cu heat sink & fan
    512mb Crucial cas 2 sd-ram pc-133
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1 rev 2 soundcard
    60gig Seagate Barracuda IV HDD
    Life View capture card
    Sapphire Atlantic Radeon 9600 graphics card
    Intel Pro 10/100 NIC
    Pioneer 106s slot loading dvd-rom (flashed firmware to enable all region playback)

Not the fastest of processors, but I was hoping more than enough for DVD playback ?

If the problem is mainly on large pans it's likely to be not using the correct refresh rate, if your planel can take multiple rates. How are you connecting the PC to the plasma?
    A: DVI out on PC through convertor to VGA & VGA into Plasma.

From more reading I have seen lots of people referring to Plasma manuals for timings. Can't find mine, so will have a look on Web for PDF.

Thanks again for help. Dave

4. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personly i use 1280x720 at 60Hz on my PWD6

I was reading some info over at avsforums the other day and alot of people thought the PWD6 actually looked better at 1280x720 scaling down rather than native res when playing movies

I was thinking of trying native res again but after reading that i am not going to bother as at 1280x720 the picture is fantastic, DVDs looks great Hi Def looks stunning

I would give that a try if i was you.

5. mda

mda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the 960x540p (HDTV PAL-derived) predefined setting within Powerstrip into my PWD6. It's a 50hz setting so no judder with R2 DVD's. With Theatertek and ffdshow software the picture quality is fabulous.

6. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I will give them a go :thumbsup:. BETAMAC did you alter any timings on yours ?

Will report back results.

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    1024 x 576 @ 60hz with my PW7 and 6600GT via DVI.

8. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now i think of it the PWD6 would not take 60Hz over DVI at that res so i whent to advanced timings

What GFX card do you have? as if its Nvidia do the following

Properties - Settings - Advanced

Click the GFX Card Tab - Screen Settings And Refresh Rates.

Click Advanced Timings and under the Mode and Timings drop down box choose 1280x720 @ 59.94

Sorted no need for powerstrip atall (i dont use it)

If you have ATI card then just choose those timings with powerstip

9. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for advice.

I tried some of the settings advised & still not a perfect picture with lots of frames missing from picture. At this point I took advice & checked CPU load , which was at 100% , with PowerDVD using 98% !!! .

WHat I didn't explain in 1st post, which I now realise has an impact was that I had LCD monitor also being driven by VGA port.....thus 2 displays. When I moved Power DVD across to LCD monitor I saw CPU load drop to 28% on POWER DVD, even though similar res being used ?

Therefore took the view CPU load was causing jerking / missing frames. To eliminate multiple monitors causing extra load, I set Plasma as primary only & voila picture was stunning with no impact to flow of picture :clap: I have to say quality is better than my previous Arcam DV89. I quickly tried native vs 1280x720 at 60Hz & couldn't see massive difference, but I only had a couple fo mins to try. Will try all advised setups later today & report back results.

The above has raised some questions though.
    1. When using multiple monitors, even when I paused film on PLASMA, the picture was nowhere near as good in terms of quality, than when I do the same with only PLASMA as monitor (both at same res) ? Any ideas why ? I can understand CPU load causing imapct to flow of picture, but actual PQ of still frame ?

2. I still want to use HTPC for normal PC use on LCD screen, when not in use for films. Any advice on simple way to switch between multiple monitors & just 1 ?

3. Does multiple monitors really burn up extra CPU that much. Why should PowerDVD jump from 28% to 98% CPU when moved from LCD monitor to PLASMA, with similar res ? Is it maybe PowerDVD at fault & should look to use other S/W ? Ideally I want to use HTPC as PVR with DVB cards, at which time I would need multiple monitor running all the time.

Thanks again for help to date & any advice on above once again gratefully recieved.

Cheers Dave

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Since some Panny owners have now chipped in hopefully you've got some good idea to follow.

I really can't explain why you got the CPU usage you observed, I run dual only rarely so maybe I just haven't noticed, equally the PQ difference you're seeing is most odd. I feel there's something going on here I don't understand but have no idea what it could be.

There's a utility which I haven't ever used called Ultramon that apparently provides for some pretty comprehensive control on dual-monitor systems, you may find that helps switching between them.

11. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,263
    Interestingly this is the 3rd post I've read on this in a the last few days.

I struggled to get 1:1 mapping on my PW5 and when I did I wasnt happy with the pixellation and jaggies. Now I push 1280x720p from my HTPC (Sweetspot/Dscaler) and the PQ is the best I've seen

The scale up/down results in a far smoother picture

12. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the ATI control panel not have settings for dual monitors?

In the nvidia control panel i have 2 monitors setup at different resolutions in my profiles and can just use hot keys to switch from one to the other.

13. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to say after lots of playing I have stuck with 856x480, which gives an awesome picture.

Re Monitors there is no advanced function to flick between them, so may need to look at software mentioned.

Thanks to all those who kindly offered their help.

Dave