POWER SOUND AUDIO Subwoofers - in Memory of mojogoes

mojogoes

Remembered (1961-2016)
Reaction score
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http://www.powersoundaudio.com/&ei=l9o3VfPABZHyav70gNAB&usg=AFQjCNHJIdVgMS4r9bse3sQkRO_4q8jaVg&sig2=-RCcgTQi7-m9-qaRjdgFRg
T-18-011_2048x2048.png
A little birdie told me that this subwoofer maybe become available in the uk!! What are peoples thoughts on this unit against the likes of the sub2 and other powerful options out there.

T-18-002_2048x2048.png

T-18-029_2048x2048.png

Last edited:
3.5K:laugh: They need to be significantly better then the SVS PBU13 @ that price which I doubt. Diminishing returns comes to mind.

3.5K:laugh: They need to be significantly better then the SVS PBU13 @ that price which I doubt. Diminishing returns comes to mind.
You really think a sub that has 3 decent 18" drivers, an extremely powerful amp and is properly tuned won't be significantly better than a single 13" driver plus a port? What do you base this opinion on?

Two quick notes,

1)The 220-240v versions of the T-18 use the 6000w speaker power amplifier(not the 4000 watt). The performance differences are subtle. The SP-1 6000

Comparative Performance - SpeakerPower

2)Please note that the comparison chart reference is with the PB13Ultra in sealed mode.

Thanks.

Tom V.

Be nice to see PSA available over here - I took a look at them, and if I could have sorted carriage, would have been a runner. Actually, I'd be interested in the PSA speakers too.

Cheers Tom! Yes Ricky did mention the uk 240v power spec being a little higher! So in sealed mode apples to apples with the svs;).................Obviously its larger than the sub2 subwoofer as it uses 3 18" drivers , but for a cost / performance comparison its a no brainer. And x2 T-18 for less than one sub2 is an absolute steel imho.

Last edited:
Be nice to see PSA available over here - I took a look at them, and if I could have sorted carriage, would have been a runner. Actually, I'd be interested in the PSA speakers too.

Aiden,

We are bringing the subs over. We expect to be demoing (in our demo room) the S1500, V1500 and S3000i in the next couple of weeks, if all goes to plan:)

The T-18 (and speakers) will follow at a later time.

Ricky

You really think a sub that has 3 decent 18" drivers, an extremely powerful amp and is properly tuned won't be significantly better than a single 13" driver plus a port? What do you base this opinion on?
I'm no expert on subs and my post was really a none evidence based observation. Given your perception of this sub may I ask have you heard it? Have you any evidence that this sub has "decent drivers". Will/does this sub when "properly tuned" outperform a properly tuned SVS PBU13? Anyone on this forum know?. It would be an interesting comparison.
Specs don't always tell the whole story.
Just my Euros worth.
Blue

Aiden,

We are bringing the subs over. We expect to be demoing (in our demo room) the S1500, V1500 and S3000i in the next couple of weeks, if all goes to plan:)

The T-18 (and speakers) will follow at a later time.

Ricky

Ricky, that's great, I almost had a deal done with Tom, but he wasn't able to arrange carriage over. Only problem I'd have is selling my Sub 1 , if I did, I'd buy a pair or more to replace it.

I'm no expert on subs and my post was really a none evidence based observation. Given your perception of this sub may I ask have you heard it? Have you any evidence that this sub has "decent drivers". Will/does this sub when "properly tuned" outperform a properly tuned SVS PBU13? Anyone on this forum know?. It would be an interesting comparison.
Just my Euros worth.
Blue
I haven't heard it no & specs don't tell the whole picture but decent measurements do tell you an awful lot. AIUI they use some custom eminence driver hence the "decent" driver term, they also use amps that are known to have tons of sustained power so that's another plus point. It has 3 18s so a large cone to move air & the (thermal) load is shared across the 3 coils, all means each driver is doing less work so they should remain pretty clean and accurate to some pretty loud levels. A sealed configuration should also produce a pretty smooth consistent response throughout the range rather than the humped output you get from a ported sub. FWIW the sub has been out in the US for a while now so there are plenty of reports over there on how it performs in room.

Overall 2x the price of the SVS seems pretty fair if not relatively cheap.

Last edited:
Thanks mattkhan
You have tweaked my interest in this sub. I think I was trying to say that more of everything does not mean it will be better. Having said that I really should read more about these subs so at least I might have an idea of what I'm talking about. If they are that good and have a smaller foot print then the SVS PBU13 I might be tempted to give Ricky a call and demo them. I suppose the dual sub benefits will be the same?
Thanks
Blue

Just my Euros worth.
Blue

Blue, you may not know the history of the 2 founders of Power Audio Sound, so thought I might share that with you here which may show that they have a good background:

@Tom Vodhanel (who posted above) was (from 1999) one of the drivers behind SV Subwoofers, heading up the R&D department until leaving the company in 2007.

Jim Farina has previously explained
I started at SVS in 2001 as an assembler while working my way through college. In 2003 I received a Bachelor of Science in Applied Science degree, with a major in Electrical Engineering Technology. This was about the same time I was promoted from assembler to R/D. My main responsibilities were system design and analysis. I took over as head of R/D in late 2007 when Tom left, and held that position until I resigned in March of 2008.

Tom had a three year non-competitive agreement when he left SVS, which is why there is a gap of just over 3.5 years before Power Sound audio was founded.

Ricky, that's great, I almost had a deal done with Tom, but he wasn't able to arrange carriage over. Only problem I'd have is selling my Sub 1 , if I did, I'd buy a pair or more to replace it.

You know where we are, if you want a demo in the future. Hoping to have the T-18 in, in the next couple of months if all goes well....

I haven't heard it no & specs don't tell the whole picture but decent measurements do tell you an awful lot. AIUI they use some custom eminence driver hence the "decent" driver term, they also use amps that are known to have tons of sustained power so that's another plus point. It has 3 18s so a large cone to move air & the (thermal) load is shared across the 3 coils, all means each driver is doing less work so they should remain pretty clean and accurate to some pretty loud levels. A sealed configuration should also produce a pretty smooth consistent response throughout the range rather than the humped output you get from a ported sub. FWIW the sub has been out in the US for a while now so there are plenty of reports over there on how it performs in room.

Overall 2x the price of the SVS seems pretty fair if not relatively cheap.

Thanks, insightful as ever.

Thanks mattkhan
You have tweaked my interest in this sub. I think I was trying to say that more of everything does not mean it will be better. Having said that I really should read more about these subs so at least I might have an idea of what I'm talking about. If they are that good and have a smaller foot print then the SVS PBU13 I might be tempted to give Ricky a call and demo them. I suppose the dual sub benefits will be the same?
Thanks
Blue

You are always welcome. We should be ready to demo in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
@Rickyj @ Kalibrate will you be offering the whole PSA range? don't suppose you're going to start (re)selling speakerpower amps too are you?

At this time we are concentrating on the subwoofers, but we will most likely have some of the speakers over in the future. After a discussion with Tom, we are concentrating on the newer models, and have decided that we are not bringing in the older subwoofers i.e. XS15SE, XV15SE, XS30SE to the UK at this time.

Sorry, no plans to sell the speakerpower amps at this time.

I hope that helps.

At this time we are concentrating on the subwoofers, but we will most likely have some of the speakers over in the future. After a discussion with Tom, we are concentrating on the newer models, and have decided that we are not bringing in the older subwoofers i.e. XS15SE, XV15SE, XS30SE to the UK at this time.

Sorry, no plans to sell the speakerpower amps at this time.

I hope that helps.

Wow the final piece in the jigsaw. They look like some serious subs for your demo room. Will definitely be round if/when you get a T-18 in. Always fancied the look of one of those but just couldn't fit it in anywhere. Oh and of course there was a slight cost issue albeit in relative terms it looks great vfm.

I'll be giving them a listen in the near future to see, if they're worth an upgrade. For a first time buyer they certainly appear on paper and design to be good value.

Might be nice to have a 6x15 - not sure I have to room for a 6x18 and that's probably a little ridiculous in this room.. well, it's really ridiculous - but we shall see, if I like em, I'll buy em.

Just my Euros worth.
Blue

BTW Blue, if you don't mind me asking...how do you like the Anti Mode dual core?

Tom V.

I'd be in the market for two or maybe even fours S3000i subs, if I could move on my Sub 1 - @Rickyj @ Kalibrate !

Last edited:
BTW Blue, if you don't mind me asking...how do you like the Anti Mode dual core?

Tom V.
Hi Tom
Whilst I don't think the Anti-mode DC sounds any better then the AS_EQ1 It EQs, a bass peak @ 50HZ in my Main speakers which was driving me mad. So with the A/Mode I can smoth that out and integrate two PBU13s & One SB13+ with my mains. Curious to know why you ask?. Looking forward to a shoot out between the T-18 and the PBU13. If anyone should know what the differences are it should be you as I believe you are one of the parents of the PB or am I incorrect?
Regards
Blue

Hi Tom
Whilst I don't think the Anti-mode DC sounds any better then the AS_EQ1 It EQs, a bass peak @ 50HZ in my Main speakers which was driving me mad. So with the A/Mode I can smoth that out and integrate two PBU13s & One SB13+ with my mains. Curious to know why you ask?. Looking forward to a shoot out between the T-18 and the PBU13. If anyone should know what the differences are it should be you as I believe you are one of the parents of the PB or am I incorrect?
Regards
Blue

We just received several anti mode products for evaluation. I might not have time to start measuring them until the weekend though. Saw it in your signature and am looking for all the feedback I can get..:)

Tom V.

I think you'd find a single S3000i to be a somewhat lateral move, dual S3000i a nice upgrade.

Tom V.

Are they Master and Slave setup Tom if paired?

@Tom Vodhanel - it's obviously a bit hard to ask you for an unbiased opinion but apart from these being able go really loud and low, how do you rate their fidelity? This is of course given the rest of the system isn't rubbish and the room is half way decent sounding?

I like my sub1 because it measures pretty well before EQ and very well post EQ - however since Audyessey's bass management is about as useful as stabbing yourself in the eye with a box cutter. Only Anthem's ARC had decent bass management is their mid range AVR's (forgetting about PBK for the moment) and we won't see their new versions till 2016.

As mentioned in other threads I would have loved to sneak a second sub1 in, they're awesome and regardless of what the sepc sheets say the sub 2 is not 5k better. Now that the sub1 has had a second price increase to £5,500 in matt / £6,000 in gloss I can't justify it because the fidelity isn't there and imo that applies to most subs at that rrp.

Since most movies are filtered off at 30hz, I'd be interested in it's upper low end clarity more than it's output and depth (altho that's nice headroom) again, something the sub1 excels at imo.

thanks.
R.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom