Power Sound Audio S1512 Subwoofer Review & Comments

barnitto

Hi @Steve Withers, nice review but you keep mentioning limited connections, specifically the lack of XLR connections. The pictures clearly show XLR inputs?

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Hi @Steve Withers, nice review but you keep mentioning limited connections, specifically the lack of XLR connections. The pictures clearly show XLR inputs?
You're absolutely right. I don't know why I kept thinking it didn't have XLR inputs – temporary brain freeze! I've corrected the copy accordingly.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Sounds like my kind of subwoofer. The same recurring issue with cost of course but that's par for the course these days.

barnitto

No worries, I was getting very confused! I was thinking how did you connect it to the lyngdorf which only has balanced connections.

connections are far better than the SVS SB3000, which only has RCA. Never seen an PSA in the flesh but I like the looks, not so much a fan of the SVS and metal grille - very much personal taste.

Steve356

Distinguished Member
Your findings were similar to mine when I had the previous S1510 model at home for a 30-day trial. Loads of bass and dug very deep, but I also found it be a little unrefined and wasn't particularly tight bass. All irrespective of where I had the room control positioned. This was with an Arcam AVR850, with and without Dirac engaged. I also hated the finish. Looked like it was a DIY project built in someone's garden shed.

I went for a M&K X10 in the end, which doesn't dig as deep, but deep enough for me and is much better in terms in of bass definition in my room.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
No worries, I was getting very confused! I was thinking how did you connect it to the lyngdorf which only has balanced connections.

connections are far better than the SVS SB3000, which only has RCA. Never seen an PSA in the flesh but I like the looks, not so much a fan of the SVS and metal grille - very much personal taste.
The Lyngdorf does only have XLR outputs, but my MK V12 subs only have phono inputs, so I have to use XLR to phono adapters and phono cables. As a result I connected to the PSA using the LFE phono input, which is probably why I forgot about the XLR inputs.

The PSA is best described as looking rugged and industrial. I guess design is a matter of personal taste, but I'm with you on the SVS metal grilles, which I really don't like.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Your findings were similar to mine when I had the previous S1510 model at home for a 30-day trial. Loads of bass and dug very deep, but I also found it be a little unrefined and wasn't particularly tight bass. All irrespective of where I had the room control positioned. This was with an Arcam AVR850, with and without Dirac engaged. I also hated the finish. Looked like it was a DIY project built in someone's garden shed.

I went for a M&K X10 in the end, which doesn't dig as deep, but deep enough for me and is much better in terms in of bass definition in my room.
There are those that like deep bass and those that prefer a more refined performance. I'm also in the latter camp, which is why I like the recent models from SVS (apart from the metal grilles). However the MK X10 is also an excellent choice and a cracking sub.

Steve Stifler

Nice review Steve!
I have a pair of the earlier S1500s, and these are excellent for movie viewing. For me they work well for music too. Nice to see some tweaks to this updated model. I highly recommend PSA, and as you allude to, there are some pretty impressive options if you have a bigger budget.

DrHarvey12

Thanks for the review Steve. :smashin:

As a current owner of a pair of the dual 15" PSA subwoofers the S3010's (which have now been replaced by the S3012's) I have been extremely happy with mine. I can't envision needing more bass and they do a pretty good job with music being sealed.

The PSA is best described as looking rugged and industrial.
For what it's worth I was able to get mine with cabinets in a Black Ash veneer so they do look reasonably smart IMO, at least as far as a sub can. Not anything close to a high end REL but equivalent to my old BK Monolith Plus' which also had the Black Ash veneer.

Happy to see PSA get a bit more exposure over here. They do have some fairly "dumb" subwoofers like the TV 42 IPAL. Not too sure the UK audience is ready for that much subwoofer but there is always a lunatic fringe out there!! ;) :D

meagabyte

Happy to see PSA get a bit more exposure over here. They do have some fairly "dumb" subwoofers like the TV 42 IPAL. Not too sure the UK audience is ready for that much subwoofer but there is always a lunatic fringe out there!! ;) :D
Must admit i rather prefer the look of the S7201

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Nice review Steve but I must say the price of a lot of the newer models from Arendal and PSA seems to be creeping up somewhat.

It doesn't seem that long ago you could get something fairly decent, powerful and good looking for around the £1000.

Saul Goodman

Distinguished Member
Nice review Steve, can't believe you hadn't heard of the brand though. Don't you read the forums? The PSA thread has been popular for a few years now! :)

Paul7777x

I need a new sub and I expect I’ll go for one of BKs 300s when they are being manufactured again.

However, even though this monster is out of my budget league, I still would love to hear/feel one in my room.

And whilst I couldn’t call the finish pretty, I’d still happily live with it; it doesn’t offend.

Phil1975

Distinguished Member
Nice review Steve, can't believe you hadn't heard of the brand though. Don't you read the forums? The PSA thread has been popular for a few years now! :)
Steve seems to stick with the more popular brands.. 🤔

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Looks like the old gritex black or whatever SVS used back in the day. Never had an issue with it to be honest, seems a neutral finish. If its non reflective and resistant to scratches, scuffs, dust, I'd call it a bonus.

Sammyez

Great review Steve, I am familiar with the PSA subs, my friend has them in his demo room. I think this model may be worth checking out given your review. I’m less concerned about the looks having a dedicated cinema room. I found the power and punch of these subs remarkable for the money. Time for a demo!

Rawschach

I have the S3000I - absolute beast. The look of it doesn't bother me (i quite like the industrial basic look of it but understand why some people might not) as it is in a dedicated room behind the screen and it cannot be seen.

One thing i have to compliment PSA on is their customer service - Tom V replies personally to messages and he is honest to a fault. He never puts the boot in to other manufacturers (he speaks highly of Arundel) and even persuades people not to upgrade to his products if he doesn't feel it is necessary. Top fellow!

Rickyj at Kalibrate

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Sounds like my kind of subwoofer. The same recurring issue with cost of course but that's par for the course these days.

Just to be clear here. The subwoofers now use a totally different driver to the one you experienced previously. PSA used an emminence driver in the xx10 series and B&C driver in the xx12 series. These drivers are very highly regarded😉

Nice review Steve but I must say the price of a lot of the newer models from Arendal and PSA seems to be creeping up somewhat.

It doesn't seem that long ago you could get something fairly decent, powerful and good looking for around the £1000.
There are 2 things that have pushed the price in the last few years:

Brexit vote - The exchange rate has dropped a significant amount since before the vote. This has negatively effected cost price and therefore sale price.

New drivers - The new drivers cost a significant amount more which has added hundreds to the cost of each driver in each subwoofer for us.

We still feel that when put up against the competition, they fair very well. Steve has compared to the SB3000, but we would happily put up against the SB4000 which retails at 20% more, and has a 13.5" driver compared to PSAs 15".

theJman

Standard Member
I was surprised to read that as well. I published the first PSA review about 8 years ago, on their original sealed subwoofer the XS-15. I figured everyone active on HT forums knew who they were by now, but perhaps the company is not as well known outside the US as I assume.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Hi Ricky not really saying that the prices are over the top, more that a quality sub from only a few years back could be had for around £1k from most makes other than perhaps the higher end Paradigm/JL/MK etc.

It seems that it's more about upping the specs/performance which obviously leads to more expensive production costs. That's fine but the lower range and more affordable models still need to be available if possible so that those with lesser budgets can still buy into the range.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Just to be clear here. The subwoofers now use a totally different driver to the one you experienced previously. PSA used an emminence driver in the xx10 series and B&C driver in the xx12 series. These drivers are very highly regarded😉

There are 2 things that have pushed the price in the last few years:

Brexit vote - The exchange rate has dropped a significant amount since before the vote. This has negatively effected cost price and therefore sale price.

New drivers - The new drivers cost a significant amount more which has added hundreds to the cost of each driver in each subwoofer for us.

We still feel that when put up against the competition, they fair very well. Steve has compared to the SB3000, but we would happily put up against the SB4000 which retails at 20% more, and has a 13.5" driver compared to PSAs 15".
Thanks for the info. No doubt everything you say is true. But every time this kind of discussion occurs some idiot (probably me) brings up BK. You could get a room full of BK SB300 series for that. It maybe an unfair comparison but it's one, many of us would make.

Saul Goodman

Distinguished Member
Hi Ricky not really saying that the prices are over the top, more that a quality sub from only a few years back could be had for around £1k from most makes other than perhaps the higher end Paradigm/JL/MK etc.

It seems that it's more about upping the specs/performance which obviously leads to more expensive production costs. That's fine but the lower range and more affordable models still need to be available if possible so that those with lesser budgets can still buy into the range.
Hi Keith, I believe PSA should have cheaper Chinese manufactured subs sometime in the near future.

Hi Steve

I've just upgraded from the same driver that you previously demoed to the new ipal version. They are definitely a step up in bass quality from the old version.

Tom @ PSA

AVForums Sponsor
I also hated the finish. Looked like it was a DIY project built in someone's garden shed.

Our standard satin black finish is unarguably more functional than fancy form. Some like it, some don't. Such is the world..:)

Here are a few pictures of the cabinet assembly + spray process. Unless that "garden shed" offers a couple thousand square-ft and 480-3 phase I'm not sure how this would work out. But all in--- the system(AC,master controls,Booth, gun, and all ancillary equipment) will approach $100,000). Just the spray gun itself will approach 10k. So about 100k JUST for the finish process. The entire cabinet cut+assembly+prep is a whole nother ballgame..:)

Tom V.

Attachments

Last edited: