Power requirements and safety

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by withanx, Jan 27, 2017.

1. withanx

withanx
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about adding dual SVS PB-2000 subs to my system (currently using a 150w HSU sub that is inadequate for the size of the room), and it got me thinking about the power I am pulling from the only outlet I have available to my system. The outlet is on a dedicated 20a circuit, but I'm currently running 2 Belkin 8 port surge protectors (one plugged into the other, both completely full) to power my setup. I'm more worried about the wiring in the surge protectors being inadequate for the power being pulled, especially since I'm daisy chaining them.

Here is my equipment:
    Speakers/amps: Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva XPA-200, Klipsch 2x RF-82, RC-52, 2x RS-42
    Sources: Comcast cable box (x1), Wii U, Mac Mini, Apple TV, Sony Blu-ray Player, VPI Turntable w/ Emotiva Pre-Amp
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 (first gen, 150w 10")
    Other things: Samsung Smartthings, Motorola modem, Logitech Harmony Hub

Should I be worried about adding those subs to an already pretty loaded circuit, and/or are there surge protectors/power strips that can handle this that I should be upgrading to?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    The Power strips will have a Max rated load indicated on them - if you are running them in Series (daisy chain) you have to ensure your total load is not exceeding the limits of the first unit which in turn must be below the max rating on the mains socket you are using.

Joe

3. Steroc

Steroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,273
    You should be fine. Most AV equipment have fairly low power usage. If worried you can get a plug in power monitor or if you have a smart meter you can check how much power is being used when everything is on.
    I've just switched everything on in here (inc. 2 active subs),
    IMG_2508.JPG
    all lights on, TVs on etc. and I'm only using 825W/3.5A for the whole house. The whole house could safely be running of a single 13a plug at the moment (as long as nobody wants a cuppa).
    IMG_2509.JPG
    IMG_2512.JPG

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    Daisy chaining extension leads/multi plugs is never a great idea. I would convert the single socket on the wall to a double socket and then you have one plug for each board. (also frees up one of the plugs on the first board).

5. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,637
    The cable is more important than the blocks themselves.

Keep cables as short as possible - cut it to length and fit a new good quality 13A plug.

Don't coil any excess, as this can generate more heat. Run the cable in parallel lengths or at a push, in a figure of 8.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    Steroc - out of interest what does your clamping device show at 'switch on'?

Joe

7. Steroc

Steroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,273
    I never switch everything on together and would probably be impossible to (only have two hands) as most stuff go into standby when first powered up so don't think inductive loads will ever be an issue.