1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power rating per channel

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ackcheng, Sep 2, 2003.

1. ackcheng

ackcheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am totally new to this area of tube audio so please bear with my potentially stupid question. I am currently using japanese AV receiver + intergrated amp like Onkyo, I have noticed the power rated is much higher than the power amp listed in most tude based power amp. The Onkyo, Marantz and Yamaha are typically >100W per channel but the tube based are usually <30W. Why's that? Is it powerful enough to drive ordinally speaker? I have a pair of Kef Q5.

Thanks for your kind response

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    In general terms,it's relatively cheap and easy to get quite large power levels from transistor amps.
    There are plenty of 100W+ valve power amps around from the likes of Audio Research,Manley,and many others,but the prices are high.....a lot of the cost is in power supply components,and the output transformers needed to transfer that power level without distortion or saturation,especially at low frequencies.
    Lower powered valve amps are frequently partnered with efficient,horn loaded speakers,but the higher powered models are suitable for most speakers.
    There's a lot more to it than this obviously,but just a broad general outline for you...hope it helps.