Power output comparison help

spiderman01

Hi all. Following another thread I created yesterday, and knowing that my Sony XF90 TV won't pass Dolby Atmos signal to the AV receiver, I think I will get the Yamaha YHT-1840. However, I do not want a weaker system in terms of volume than the current one: Onkyo HT-R380. I have spoken to Richer Sounds and they reckon the Yamaha is a 70 watt system while the Onkyo is a 100 watt. The Amazon website states otherwise and says the Yamaha is a 100 watt. With these contradictory information, and seeing the Yamaha website with different wattages, how do I know if it's weaker than the Onkyo? Could you guys share some light? Thank you.

YAMAHA
5-channel powerful surround sound
--- 70 W per Channel (6 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09% THD, 2-ch driven)
--- 100 W per Channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1-ch driven)
--- 135 W per Channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1-ch driven)

ONKYO
Amplifier Section
Rated Output Power
All channels: 1 ch × 100 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 ch driven (IEC)
Dynamic Power
160 W (3 Ω, Front)
125 W (4 Ω, Front)
85 W (8 Ω, Front)
THD (Total Harmonic Distortion)
0.08% (1 kHz, 1 W)
Damping Factor 60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8 Ω)
Input Sensitivity and Impedance
200 mV/47 kΩ (LINE)
Output Level and Impedance
200 mV/2.2 kΩ (REC OUT)
Frequency Response 20 Hz - 50 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (DSP bypass)
Tone Control Characteristies
±10 dB, 50 Hz (BASS)
±10 dB, 20 kHz (TREBLE)

Hi all. Following another thread I created yesterday, and knowing that my Sony XF90 TV won't pass Dolby Atmos signal to the AV receiver, I think I will get the Yamaha YHT-1840. However, I do not want a weaker system in terms of volume than the current one: Onkyo HT-R380. I have spoken to Richer Sounds and they reckon the Yamaha is a 70 watt system while the Onkyo is a 100 watt. The Amazon website states otherwise and says the Yamaha is a 100 watt. With these contradictory information, and seeing the Yamaha website with different wattages, how do I know if it's weaker than the Onkyo? Could you guys share some light? Thank you.

YAMAHA
--- 135 W per Channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1-ch driven)

ONKYO
Amplifier Section
Rated Output Power
Dynamic Power
160 W (3 Ω, Front)
125 W (4 Ω, Front)
85 W (8 Ω, Front)
THD (Total Harmonic Distortion)
0.08% (1 kHz, 1 W)
Damping Factor 60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8 Ω)
Input Sensitivity and Impedance
200 mV/47 kΩ (LINE)
Output Level and Impedance
200 mV/2.2 kΩ (REC OUT)
Frequency Response 20 Hz - 50 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (DSP bypass)
Tone Control Characteristies
±10 dB, 50 Hz (BASS)
±10 dB, 20 kHz (TREBLE)
You need to compare apples with apples. The 70w number for the Yamaha is for 2 channels driven, the 100w is for one channel driven for both the Yamaha and the Onkyo - so I would say based on that the power outputs of the two are very similar.

Also bear in mind that this number will decrease the more channels you are driving, so if you have a 5.1 system you are not going to achieve 70w per channel, it will be less.

Bearing in mind that both AVRs are also quoted at 6 ohms rather than 8, both are a bit weedy on the power front tbh.

gibbsy

With the Onkyo being quoted as 100 watts into 6 ohms with 1 channel driven and the Yamaha as 70 watts with 2 channels driven then there is hardly a gnat's hair between them. You will not notice any difference looking at those figures.

alebonau

ONKYO
Amplifier Section
Rated Output Power

The onkyo at 1 channel rating seems quite similar to the 1 channel rating of the Yamaha below,

YAMAHA

both 100W per 1ch driven.... both with a 1khz signal... we dont get a THD for the onkyo but looking at other specs quoted they seem both quite in similar league...

keeping in mine you need to typically double power for a 3db gain...ie a loudness difference thats noticeable...

Mr Wolf

The Yamaha is likely to be sound 45w all channels driven.

Not inflated figure
I agree, it being about 70% of the 2CH figure but that's with an 6-Ohm load.

Feeding into a 8-Ohms would drop the output to nearer 34W so, by comparison, a high end AVR which outputs circa. 100W 5CH driven (8-Ohms) could play about 5dB higher which is roughly 40% louder.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom