• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Power outlet - switching off

SenatorDC

Standard Member
Is it bad to cut the power to your amp at the power outlet switch instead of using the amps own power off button?

Could this damage the amp?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Is it bad to cut the power to your amp at the power outlet switch instead of using the amps own power off button?

Could this damage the amp?
In general, no to both.

SenatorDC

Standard Member
Interesting to hear as my amp cannot be switched off with its remote control, so ive found some power adapters that can be switched off with a remote. I'll probably get my logitch remote to control the power outlet switch.

How's that for a long winded workaround!

Thanks for the reply, is there any info out there to back it up?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Interesting to hear as my amp cannot be switched off with its remote control, so ive found some power adapters that can be switched off with a remote. I'll probably get my logitch remote to control the power outlet switch.

How's that for a long winded workaround!

Thanks for the reply, is there any info out there to back it up?
Most amps (please note my use of terms such as "in general" and "most") simply have a mechanical power switch before the transformer, and is electrically equivalent to having it outside the box. If you need a definitive statement for your specific amplifier though, you will have have to give some clue as to its identity. Alternatively, get hold of a service manual and look at the circuit diagram.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom