Power off at mains nightly?

athelstan

The point is that the problem of population growth is resolving itself and the obvious thing to keep doing is to raise literacy and women's rights.

Short of mass genocide, you can't reduce the world population so why bring it up?

The top 10 countries in Europe have higher CO2 emissions than the entire continent of Africa Each Country's Share of CO2 Emissions

This is of course just one metric, but it's hard to maintain the argument that population explosion (which is already topping out and is expected to start falling over the next century) is a problem.

China shows up at the top of emissions charts largely because it's the world's factory -- making all the stuff that we like to throw away and upgrade each year.

Saving 0.5wh of electricity isn't worth it. You'll probably damage the toggle switch at the wall (and replace it at higher cost) before you save enough electricity to offset the cost.

Switch to a green energy supplier, make small adjustments to uour lifestyle, install solar panels if you can and can afford, and prepare yourself to accept more climate change refugees into your country in the future because all of what you can do now is only going to help limit the worst case scenarios -- that is, we're toast.

We've already done the damage the question is not can we stop it, but only how bad will it get!

This is just my view of course 😂.
It is not resolving itself and the ostriches who continue to repeat that specious nonsense do not help anyone. Population growth is at the very heart of our environmental problems and will continue to be until we are forced to confront it.

Ach0w

Standard Member
It is not resolving itself and the ostriches who continue to repeat that specious nonsense do not help anyone. Population growth is at the very heart of our environmental problems and will continue to be until we are forced to confront it.
Name-calling, really?

nomorelandings

Agree 100%. If my memory is correct, during geography lessons in the 1960s, the population of India was estimated 450 million and China 800 million. I visited both many times and China once had a single child policy. Bicycles to Mercedes in just a few decades In China. Countries like Mexico, Brazil and Indonesia have exceeded even that growth by huge margins. The latter two have also desecrated the rainforests, the lungs of the planet. Humans are now growing food to distil into ethanol to use as a petrol additive. Madness ar every turn. For 35 years I flew around the world, mostly in 747s. Admittedly it burnt @10000 kgs per hour or 12500 litres/ hr but gave me a view of our wonderful planet, including Greenland glaciers, erupting volcanos and shrinking tropical forests. The remaining BA 747s are in the process of being chopped up. once a fleet of 57 flying an average of 15+ hours a day. There you go, extinction rebellion, back to bikes! I predict nature will eventually fight back against avaricious humans. Perhaps COVID will reduce the sperm count to a feeble dribble.

Mr Blair signed us up to CO2 reduction at Kyoto when he came to power in 1997. Very noble, but then opened the migration floodgates, perpetuated by his successors. More than 5 Birmingham’s worth. Not exactly joined up thinking.
Jethro tull’s Locomotion Breath from my youth raised the alarm on population growth. Very prophetic, Mr Anderson, wild man of rock.
I leave both my OLED 65s in standby. Hypocrite, moi?

Last edited:

Rolph77

A fascinating discussion. All because somebody wanted to know whether to turn their telly off 😂

It's an incredibly complicated, and incredibly important subject.

Morden

Hi everyone,

I’ve tried searching for the answer here. It’s possible it might be too basic or stupid a question which is why I can’t find anything!

It’s been a long time since I bought a TV and I have a Sony 55XH9505 on the way.

I currently turn off my TV at the mains each evening, but I’d like to know if this habit is a no no / harmful for my new TV?

Should it be kept in standby or is the no reason not to keep doing as I am?

Thank (and possibly apologies!) in advance for your help.

Mike
No wont harm it at all. I do this on one of my tvs. Other tv is awkward to reach wall switch behind it.
Will save you a weekly restart of the TV to clear memory registers, modern tvs are really computers.

But when I do turn off the majority of devices, power usage go downs down quite a bit. (I have a digital lcd device that shows real time power usage)

Last edited:

Morden

The small positive contribution I can make by powering off my AV system as opposed to putting it into low power standby is offset by mitigating the risk of breaking my kit from a power cycle voltage spike. If something breaks and I have to replace it that’s a far bigger environmental impact. Standby is safer to my kit.

If its a modern house the fuses trip at slightest thing, maybe in an older house, but, i also use surge protected extension leads, which gives additional protection.

Captain Ron

If its a modern house the fuses trip at slightest thing, maybe in an older house, but, i also use surge protected extension leads, which gives additional protection.
I use those as well but i'm still not taking chances. :)

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I use those as well but i'm still not taking chances. :)
Surge protection leads might work once, but will then be burnt out and will just function as ordinary extension leads. You need the much more robust surge protection devices that get fitted to distribution boards and that have replaceable protection devices.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
In the UK, for perhaps 3 months of the year (or make your own estimate) we may have windows open and/or airconditioning in use for temperature comfort.

The rest of the time, we rely on artificial heating for comfort.

The actual amount of power used to sustain electronics (whether in use or in standby) is small. But there are inefficiencies which drive the power consumption up. This "waste" is what really matters - except that it's not precisely wasted, and therefore doesn't matter - most of the time.

Surplus energy does not simply vapourise; it is dissipated as heat (thermal energy). And that heat escapes into your indoors environment (those three or so ventilated/cooled months aside). It thereby contributes to your comfort and offsets a similar amount of thermal energy that would otherwise be provided by other means. One might go further; if your electricity is "green" (offset at source) and your main source of heating is fossil based (eg gas).........

nomorelandings

LV426. Good point. Regenerative braking in EVs is a great way of harnessing energy that would otherwise be lost as heat.
on BBC4 this evening was Earth from Space, episode 4. For anyone interested in the bigger picture of population growth and resultant damage inflicted, it is sobering viewing. Stunning photography and hi def satellite imagery a bonus.
Unless going on holiday, I leave my tv in standby as designed that way. As others have said, firmware updates, pixel refresh etc. Should not be interrupted imho. Thermal relays ditto. My LG oled E7 needed the power supply replaced due model recall. The engineer had strong views on leaving it in standby. As for not saving the planet, it really is a gnat on an elephants posterior.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I just checked on number of wall socket on/off operation and the first manufacturer (MK) I looked at wall sockets and they are rated for 25,000 plug insertions/removals and 1,000,000 so there is a very low risk of a fire starting.

stephenbw

Standard Member
Via an extension lead, my TV is plugged into the same mains socket as the amp for my surround sound and I find it easier to switch both off together at the mains.
There have been no discernible ill effects to my doing this.

Tropi

Short of mass genocide, you can't reduce the world population
Of course it CAN be done!
But it won't be and so the world will take care of the problem itself.
Disease, drought, famine, flood and war. There's more, but they that will do the job just fine, no problem at all.

Ace Of Wands

61+wBEi3CFL._SL1500_.jpg

I use this Eagle 5-Gang Extension Lead with Remote Control, so I can power on only what I need. Usually TV - Amp - AppleTv during the day, & then my PS4 or SWITCH at night. Ive placed colour coded stickers on the side of the remote & on the plugs themselves as I find that easier to remember rather than just numbers on the remote. Although I am sure you can guess which numbered socket I put my PS4 into ;)

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Interestingly, my Father in Law always turns off his TV and audio equipment at the plug each night, but he's had twice as many TVs in the past 25 years as we have. They always seem to develop power supply related faults - which might suggest that the thermal stress and power inrush of turning them on and off at the mains might decrease operational life.

This is not a scientific experiment, and I am quite sure lots of people will have experienced the opposite, but electronics do prefer a steady state rather than being switched on and off repeatedly.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Inrush would stress some components.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
View attachment 1560279
I use this Eagle 5-Gang Extension Lead with Remote Control, so I can power on only what I need. Usually TV - Amp - AppleTv during the day, & then my PS4 or SWITCH at night. Ive placed colour coded stickers on the side of the remote & on the plugs themselves as I find that easier to remember rather than just numbers on the remote. Although I am sure you can guess which numbered socket I put my PS4 into ;)

Does that device quote how much power it consumes itself ?

Ace Of Wands

I am not sure, here is some more info

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I am not sure, here is some more info

It's 0.58W power usage which is low to be fair but comparable with modern devices that are in a true standby (as opposed to downloading updates etc). My TP-Link switches use a similar amount but around a 1W when actually switched on.

I think for me the balance has got to be if an additional device is needed how much does it cost, compared to the saving on juice used and convenience. Then there is the "green" element in terms of does it save vs the cost of manufacture and shipping etc.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
There are about 15 types of sockets in the world, it is predominantly the UK type that is switched, some AU/NZ and Denmark can have switched sockets as well. The rest of the world doesn't do that generally. It is such a UK thing to switch it off at the socket. It annoys the hell out of me when my wife does that. The amount of times I've made toast that wasn't toasted...

Nope I don't switch at the socket. Utterly pointless in my opinion.

KBD

I used to have lightning storms destroy my stuff, so I would run everything on a UPS & then when I wasn't home or in bed, I'd turn the UPS off.
It worked, & eventually I did some re-wiring with three interconnected Ground-rods & thermomagnetic breakers, which also solved the problem long-term.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PROMOTED: Which OLED is King? 2021 Shootout at Abbey Road Studios
  • By Promoted Content Poster
  • Published
Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022