Power off at mains nightly?

MJI

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

I’ve tried searching for the answer here. It’s possible it might be too basic or stupid a question which is why I can’t find anything!

It’s been a long time since I bought a TV and I have a Sony 55XH9505 on the way.

I currently turn off my TV at the mains each evening, but I’d like to know if this habit is a no no / harmful for my new TV?

Should it be kept in standby or is the no reason not to keep doing as I am?

Thank (and possibly apologies!) in advance for your help.

Mike

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
New tvs have much lower standby power requirements and may occasionally download updates overnight. There's no harm in turning it off each evening, but the gains will be little.

pastrybloke19

Hi everyone,

I’ve tried searching for the answer here. It’s possible it might be too basic or stupid a question which is why I can’t find anything!

It’s been a long time since I bought a TV and I have a Sony 55XH9505 on the way.

I currently turn off my TV at the mains each evening, but I’d like to know if this habit is a no no / harmful for my new TV?

Mike
As above, modern TVs are way better with low power consumption and so no good reason to turn it off. Also they can update in standby and stuff, so I would just leave it on myself.

tvdavid

oled tvs should be on stand by but normal LED ones are OK to unplug I think and it just won't update unless its power on.

stblob

I always switch off at the sockets before going to bed, never had a problem. When you start adding everything that's in standby, it soon adds up.

Wing80surfer

oled tvs should be on stand by but normal LED ones are OK to unplug I think and it just won't update unless its power on.
Should be okay to completely power off OLEDs as long as you give them some time to do their pixel refresh & whatever else they do when put into standby mode.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Should be okay to completely power off OLEDs as long as you give them some time to do their pixel refresh & whatever else they do when put into standby mode.
Yes, you are right with OLED, just need to give it 10 minutes to do a Mini Refresh if one is due, the Major one will tell you it's going to do it whereas the Minor one's give no indication, you can tell though as when you switch into standby the power relay will not click straight away if it's going to do it, if it clicks off straight away you could then unplug, if that is what you want to do, personally I don't bother as I'm not that fussed.

Wing80surfer

Yes, you are right with OLED, just need to give it 10 minutes to do a Mini Refresh if one is due, the Major one will tell you it's going to do it whereas the Minor one's give no indication, you can tell though as when you switch into standby the power relay will not click straight away if it's going to do it, if it clicks off straight away you could then unplug, if that is what you want to do, personally I don't bother as I'm not that fussed.
Yeah, I often hear the relay clicking on my CX about 5-10 mins after I put it in standby. Like you, I'm not fussed about energy consumption so leave it permanently in standby anyway.

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Mine shares a double adaptor socket with a network hub (yeah I know, also uses little power), so I have the habit of throwing a single mains switch every night. Imagine if everyone did it, 5-10watts x millions. That's got to be a good thing.

Dobbyisfree

That's got to be a good thing.

True. But, sorry to be unpopular, if someone was actually concerned about the planet then they wouldn't have a large TV OLED or LED etc. They'd compromise to save the Earth; not just energy usage but the energy and earth's resources to make it.

Like the number of people I speak to telling me I should divide up my waste into about 4 different bins. Then they fly abroad on holidays three times a year. And sit there heating a house with empty bedrooms.

By the way, that's not me. I've faced the fact that human's are as selfish as most of the other animals. I don't mean I go mad and blatantly waste energy! But I do leave things in standby where it is safe and more convenient.

keithwiggins

Hi everyone,

Mike
yes, bit it will only save you pennies per annum and contribute little to saving the planet, that said if we all do it x 8 billion then it will make a useful impact, the key word is all.

larkone

Distinguished Member
yes, bit it will only save you pennies per annum and contribute little to saving the planet, that said if we all do it x 8 billion then it will make a useful impact, the key word is all.
Unfortunately a very large proportion of the 8 billion are below the poverty line and do not have electricity provision to effect any savings.

kinggo

Unfortunately a very large proportion of the 8 billion are below the poverty line and do not have electricity provision to effect any savings.
and, sadly, those ppl are not the problem. At least not in the same way as those that do have enough, everything and want even more. But the only real elephant in the room is that we are breeding like rabbits and if that does not change this planet is doomed. Because no matter how much we lower production or needs, our numbers are increasing so exponentially that there won't be a way around that even if we could survive just on air. From 6B to 8B in 30 years, a time frame that is not even measurable in Earth existence. But the damage done to Earth is, if not greater, than at least equal to everything that was before.
So turning off TV at mains will never compensate for energy, resources and waste we are directly responsible when we buy a new one on the next black friday.

Ach0w

Standard Member
and, sadly, those ppl are not the problem. At least not in the same way as those that do have enough, everything and want even more. But the only real elephant in the room is that we are breeding like rabbits and if that does not change this planet is doomed. Because no matter how much we lower production or needs, our numbers are increasing so exponentially that there won't be a way around that even if we could survive just on air. From 6B to 8B in 30 years, a time frame that is not even measurable in Earth existence. But the damage done to Earth is, if not greater, than at least equal to everything that was before.
So turning off TV at mains will never compensate for energy, resources and waste we are directly responsible when we buy a new one on the next black friday.
This has got to become a law. How soon into a debate about climate change before someone talks about overpopulation.

If we don't have kids, we will become extinct and so what's the point?

World fertility is on a decline, and reliably declines as literacy goes up and women gain rights, so if you care about overpopulation, encourage your government to stop scaling back international development budgets.

It goes without saying that the vast majority of people in places with growing populations don't have late model SUVs on the drive and a detached mansion -- which is the sort of stuff that people often do when they decide not to have kids "for the planet" because the money they would have spent on food, education and childcare can go instead into luxury lifestyles with huge climate impact.

larkone

Distinguished Member
@kinggo I think the population explosion is worse than that. When I was born (mid fifities) the world pop. was around 2.5B, so over three times expansion in my lifetime.

Ach0w

Standard Member
@kinggo I think the population explosion is worse than that. When I was born (mid fifities) the world pop. was around 2.5B, so over three times expansion in my lifetime.

Attachments

• 8EA20D82-2D81-4BDB-8E05-4AAA951EE2E0.png
    8EA20D82-2D81-4BDB-8E05-4AAA951EE2E0.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 159

kinggo

This has got to become a law. How soon into a debate about climate change before someone talks about overpopulation.

If we don't have kids, we will become extinct and so what's the point?

World fertility is on a decline, and reliably declines as literacy goes up and women gain rights, so if you care about overpopulation, encourage your government to stop scaling back international development budgets.

It goes without saying that the vast majority of people in places with growing populations don't have late model SUVs on the drive and a detached mansion -- which is the sort of stuff that people often do when they decide not to have kids "for the planet" because the money they would have spent on food, education and childcare can go instead into luxury lifestyles with huge climate impact.
because it is the obvious issue here. It does not matter if it happens in Africa or in the UK or within educated population or poor population. I mean, if mantra about cows and CO2 is true and valid, the same goes for ppl, we are also a source of CO2. In so many more ways then cows and in every corner of the world.
And something that has 8B in numbers is hardly on a brink of extinction. And if it is, that's because of it's own doing. Or not doing and ignoring the issue for the last few decades. And not having more than one kid might end up family line but at the same time might give a better chance to that one kid family line.

and that graph.....not sure what exactly it represents but just because avg number of child per woman dropped that does not mean that cumulative number did not go up.

Captain Ron

The small positive contribution I can make by powering off my AV system as opposed to putting it into low power standby is offset by mitigating the risk of breaking my kit from a power cycle voltage spike. If something breaks and I have to replace it that’s a far bigger environmental impact. Standby is safer to my kit.

Ach0w

Standard Member
because it is the obvious issue here. It does not matter if it happens in Africa or in the UK or within educated population or poor population. I mean, if mantra about cows and CO2 is true and valid, the same goes for ppl, we are also a source of CO2. In so many more ways then cows and in every corner of the world.
And something that has 8B in numbers is hardly on a brink of extinction. And if it is, that's because of it's own doing. Or not doing and ignoring the issue for the last few decades. And not having more than one kid might end up family line but at the same time might give a better chance to that one kid family line.

and that graph.....not sure what exactly it represents but just because avg number of child per woman dropped that does not mean that cumulative number did not go up.
The point is that the problem of population growth is resolving itself and the obvious thing to keep doing is to raise literacy and women's rights.

Short of mass genocide, you can't reduce the world population so why bring it up?

The top 10 countries in Europe have higher CO2 emissions than the entire continent of Africa Each Country's Share of CO2 Emissions

This is of course just one metric, but it's hard to maintain the argument that population explosion (which is already topping out and is expected to start falling over the next century) is a problem.

China shows up at the top of emissions charts largely because it's the world's factory -- making all the stuff that we like to throw away and upgrade each year.

Saving 0.5wh of electricity isn't worth it. You'll probably damage the toggle switch at the wall (and replace it at higher cost) before you save enough electricity to offset the cost.

Switch to a green energy supplier, make small adjustments to uour lifestyle, install solar panels if you can and can afford, and prepare yourself to accept more climate change refugees into your country in the future because all of what you can do now is only going to help limit the worst case scenarios -- that is, we're toast.

We've already done the damage the question is not can we stop it, but only how bad will it get!

This is just my view of course 😂.

stblob

TV standby usage is only 0.5 W not 5-10W!
That's funny, what about all the stuff left in standy? I'll probably use 10 W an hour with everything in standby, that's 240 W a day! That's nearly 1kw every 4 days. Like a said, it soon mounts up. And all that just to have things in standby for no reason at all.

athelstan

The chart is meaningless in this context. The bottom line is that the population continues to grow hugely.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features