• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Power of attorney in Scotland?


Established Member
Can anyone tell me if accounts need to be kept if you are power of attorney for a mentally handicapped family relative who lives with you? If so, are there standard allowances for digs/rent etc?


Distinguished Member
Just for having power of attorney? I don't think you get a carers allowance just for that.Two different things I think you'll find. Being someone's guardian you mean? I don't think we even have power of attorney in Scotland. Being someone's guardian usually means you are responsible for representing them , this isn't something you are paid for.


Established Member
It was years ago my in laws took in their mentally handicapped brother and were advised to arrange power of attorney rather than guardianship. They were responsible for his money so we were just wondering if they should have been keeping accounts.

I know they weren't paid for looking after him but obviously he should have been contributing to household bills from his own benefit money. I wondered if there were any recommended values for this kind of thing.


Distinguished Member
We do have Continuing Power of Attorneys in Scotland, Welfare Guardianship/Powers also or a combination of both.
And of course receipts/accounts should be kept, for everything, as if they or you did or do go in the future, for the process, how will anyone know who can be trusted, or indeed capable of looking after that person and their finances.
It may be that you need to appear in front of a sheriff, and have paperwork signed by medical professionals, and of course have a papertrail/history.

Best checking out here for further information: Office of the Public Guardian (Scotland) - What we Do - Power of Attorney Section

As to him contributing, as they were responsible for him, they would most probably been best to use his money to look after him/his needs, rather than what sounds like you're saying and charging for bed/lodging, etc..
The OPG will investigate reports of any mis-handling, or queries, and they can be contacted for more information at the above site.
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom