1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Leads

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by arn, Jan 2, 2005.

1. arn

arn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Probably not the right place to post this but hey :)

I have been reading up a lot of russ andrews power extensions etc, Do these make a big difference to a av setup.

At the moment mine are just plugged into a couple of double sockets.

2. arn

arn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone?

3. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ask yourself this question.

"Which other area of the electronics and IT industries use these Fancy Cables?"

Answer : None.

I have worked in a TOP IT company for 20+ years. we make equipment from mainframes to desktops for every industry sector on the planet. I have been involved with the design of machines for years.

All you need to do is use 25 year old technology to design a power supply that is not only "CE" designated but will not be effected by mains bourne issues.

These cables are pure unadultarated snake oil.

Have a read of this link.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-blind-test-power-cords-12-2004.html.

I find it interesting that the "Audio industry" appears to have "discovered" a lot of new inventions that other areas of the electronics industry have not heard of AND are not queuing up to license either!.

Interesting that??

I shall retire to the trenches now to avoid the mud slinging. ;)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Transferring to the cable forum where all of the best mud is slung ;)

5. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
  6. vc820

vc820
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Arn

I use all Russ Andrews Power cords and mains extensions wherever possible on my home cinema setup and have found them to offer a very worthwhile performance boost. I would not want to be without them now. I find it hard to understand how it seems so many people can't wait to run Russ Andrew down. He doesn't force you to buy goods from him and if you do he offers a 60 day full money back guarantee. Why not start with a yello extension or power cord and see how you get on. I'd also like to say that they are a really nice company to deal with and are very friendly and helpful.

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Mr Andrews certainly does have his supporters and detractors. Ultimately it is your money, system and ears which will tell you if they make a difference.

The arguments will continue for many more years regarding cables but trust your ears more than forum arguments.

8. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A power lead is basically there to provide a steady flow of current to your component. With all the low voltage electronics in things today (ie: IC's and other chips) that typically means a clean 5V and 12V signal (esp for DSP's and HEX converters).
    Mains supply is regulated down to these levels (DC, not AC) and generally stored in capacitors in the unit itself. You'll get MUCH better benefits by CLEANING UP THE POWER SOURCE (ie: mains filters) than you will by just plugging in a new high quality cord. Because all your new cord will do is transmit power noise into your amp/cd/dvd/etc better than before, meaning the components power regulator has to clean up MORE cr@p before it can cut it back to 5/12 volts.

NOW the problem is finding a freeking huge power filter that can supply a beefy current load to demanding amps :rolleyes:

CfP

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I agree.... up to a point :)

I agree that you would be better off putting filters into the power cord, but I do not agree that the current load will be a challenge. An AV amp running 1000W total should drag no more than 10A from the mains supply, tops. Filters capable of a 10A load are not a problem.

I really don't see the point of replacing the last metre of the connection to AV equipment, when everything else remains untouched. What about that 13A socket on the wall, that you're plugging your mains cable into ? How long has it been there ? How corroded are the connectors inside ? What about the mains wiring, and the fuse box ? What about the earth stake (if you have one) ? Where do you stop ?

10. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Of course you canb always buy a new one from Russ Andrews for £20 ... or the same thing elsewhere for a quarter that price :D

11. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I think this is a serious case of diminishing returns. Spending a few quid on cleaning up your power supply and protecting your equipment is a good idea.
    But spending a lot on power cables and conditioners is truely madness.
    I use an APC UPS for both my systems. From that to the equipment is a standard power cord. If I disconnect the UPS I can't really say if there's a difference or not. Certainly no difference between it and offerings from Isotek etc. Regardless of what science and sales pitch tell me.

In saying that I did try out some Nordost Valhalla cables and conditioners and yes, they made quite a difference, the bass was notably deeper and the midrange slightly more full. Even then on my amps they made little or no noticable difference.
    And let's face it at £1700.00 a cable I figure they should morph into a french maid and do the housework, etc.

My advice to you Arn is give it serious thought before you dig into your pockets.

12. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick_UK,
    I should quantify that down here in Australia, our power is 240V/10A/50Hz max :( Hence as amps push up to that 10A limit and you have other equipment running on the same circuit, you start to think of these things. My house was built new for me (only 7 years old now) so I know it's wiring isn't toooooo bad (no mice/rats ;] ).

I agree with what you're saying, some minimal cleaning up is good, going over the top is exactly that, over the top! Someone has mentioned using a small domestic computer UPS and that's probably as good as (or more than) most people would EVER need.

The current draw issue is if you're running a TV, AMP, DVD all at once then your current load will be pushing the 10A (AU) or maybe even 13A (UK) depending on amp and TV hardware. My 80cm glass tube Phillips TV and Onkyo SR702 going full tilt in theater mode may start to push a few amps but I'd need to measure it (with a current clamp) to really tell, chances are it won't because I haven't tripped any fuses yet (fingers crossed). A power filter would need to be able to support this kind of instant load draw, so a BIG capacitor (or batteries) should do that no sweat.

CfP