Power lead for plasma

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where to get a decent quality 3m power lead for the plasma from?

I'v looked on ebay but they seem a bit cheap..

mal

youve really stirred up a hornets nest here ..lol!

Some pple swear by higher end power leads - others laugh at our stoopidity!

I swear by Kimber Power Kords but very expensive - though cheapest one the Yellow Power Kord is around 50 squid.

mal600908

Mark Grant does them through the forum, quoted me £35 for 5 metres double screened, going to order it soon.

Should be good quality like the rest of his cables.

Cheers, Tam

I'm firmly in the cynic's camp. mains leads came from Yank land, where they have dodgy aluminium wall sockets, half the voltage hence double the current. You can expect a bit of arcing to occur between plug and socket there. Here we have the best made mains kit in the world, best, most corrosion free, tightest fitting plugs. You want your power cord screened for sure, it'll be close to loads of other AV cables, but that's an end to it. The correct CSA for the current it's designed to carry is the only other point, and they all should have that.

I will mail him and see what he quotes.

I have got my other cables off him, I don't mind spending extra on signal cables but mains cables are all the same I believe.

Thanks

mal600908 said:
I will mail him and see what he quotes.

I have got my other cables off him, I don't mind spending extra on signal cables but mains cables are all the same I believe.

Thanks

I would have stuck with the original PW7 cable, but have just moved house and require a 5m length, so thought Mark Grant would be the best option.

Cheers, Tam

sdk said:
What kind of diffrence can you expect from a higher priced cable, if any.

I don't expect any difference, the only thing I am concerned about is it causing inteference to my other cables, which I am burying in the wall.

Mal, it's usually possible to dig a separate groove for the power cable, this ensures it's kept separate from the others. The inverse square law makes great shielding. At 10cm the interference is 100x less than at 1 cm, which is why Panasonic etc put the power connector right at one end of the display. On a PWD this means you can get the power 30cm at least from any other cable.

Sounds like a good idea - I'm not really looking forward to digging all those cables, it's going to make getting the plasma back on the wall a bit harder as there won't be much slack on the cables.

I think I may have to make something to stand it on at the same height - either that, or it may just tilt enough when on the top bar of the mount.... :confused:

Don't quite understand. You bung the cables in with enough slack to be comfortable, with the exits close to where they connect. Hang the plasma, hang upside down like a gibbon and push the plugs in. The PV 500 makes this much much harder by having the connectors on the back, I know, so the technique might have to be modified. Have you got a couple of local mates you could bribe with beer and a 1st sight of it switched on? 2 to hold it, you connect it, and then guide it onto the mount. I haven't sold a PV yet, not looking forward to that bit of the sale. I think I've only ever sold 5 or 6 plasmas I have not personally mounted. If it's going to be a 3 man job, as I suspect after you've made me think about it, I'll have to watch the install price!

"I think I've only ever sold 5 or 6 plasmas I have not personally mounted"

That is taking your love of AV too far! :D

Fnar, fnar.

MAW said:
Don't quite understand. You bung the cables in with enough slack to be comfortable, with the exits close to where they connect. Hang the plasma, hang upside down like a gibbon and push the plugs in. The PV 500 makes this much much harder by having the connectors on the back, I know, so the technique might have to be modified. Have you got a couple of local mates you could bribe with beer and a 1st sight of it switched on? 2 to hold it, you connect it, and then guide it onto the mount. I haven't sold a PV yet, not looking forward to that bit of the sale. I think I've only ever sold 5 or 6 plasmas I have not personally mounted. If it's going to be a 3 man job, as I suspect after you've made me think about it, I'll have to watch the install price!

I will have to make the missus redundant and get a couple of mates to help.

The worse thing is the fat bit that sticks out at the bottom makes it hard to access the connections.

Piccy attached.

Attachments

• DSCF3887.jpg
    DSCF3887.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 190
"I think I've only ever sold 5 or 6 plasmas I have not personally mounted"

:rotfl:

Is that plasmas or customers (discount)

got my bits off rswww.com for about £10 for a 5m lead, i dont think the lead panny supply is worth £50 some how.

best regards

I got one from Mark Grant, 3m for £35, seems fairly reasonable as his cables are top quality.

Plasma still in the box while I redecorate :(

As a radio ham and someone who has had to learn about RF and RFI, I fail to see why you need to pay any more than the bare minimum for a power cable.
Sorry, but ATM I'm p*ssing my pants laughing.

Unless I'm missing something :confused:

Which bit of kit would be susceptible to / cause RFI ??

Can someone enlighten me :lease:

The main problem is interference to the other cables, so a decent double sheilded cable is worth the cost to me.

Mine are going to be buried in the wall so I don't want it to intefere with the others.

I agree, the standard power cable is fine for normal use where the chance of inteference is less.

Some people spend £100-£200 on power cables but that is just silly...

Cheers for the answer Mal :thumbsup:

This whole Idea of interference is rubbish, IMO.
I passed my Exam in 1984 and this was only a small problem even then.
The frequencies (and I admit I'm digressing, but bear with me) that caused a problem were HF and VHF.
We're now running at a lot higher frequencies (Sky).
Even so, back then, the Department of Trade and Industry declared that anything that received mains interference was due to a badly designed receiver.
I'm getting away from the basics here, but suffice to say, 20 years on, filter designs are VASTLY superior and basically;

it's a load of tosh

I'll stick with a piece of standard 3-core with rubbish connectors and won't have a problem, IMO.
If you don't believe me, by all means try with an extension cable first and possibly save yourself a lot of money.
Even cheap rubbish shouldn't be susceptible to this type of interference and if anyone is going to pay mega bucks for a cable, I'm sure they won't be using rubbish kit.

Don't believe the Hype, IMO. (or is that TRIPE???)

Unless someone knows something I don't, as I said. I'm always open to being corrected :)

Do the cynics extend the same doubt to mains conditioners and filters. I recently tried the £1200 isotek Titan in my system. I could definitely hear a difference but it wasnt enough to make me sell my soul.

Pretty well regarded AV journalists swear the proper power cords DO make a difference. My local Dealer is actaully quite cynical about such things but is having a lovely affair with the van den hul - The mainstream.

What mains do you normally use? If the cables are old and ropey, or made of string in the 1st place, I will concede you could find an iprovement.

Mixture of ones that Meridian have supplied which are very heavy weight and have extremely shiny silver pins and £30-£40 ones in yellow from Black Rhodium and Ixos.
Wouldnt have bothered with these had the dealer not chucked them in. Im still intrigued with what a £250 VDH lead would do....or even a £1000 Nordost.
My distribution blocks are cheap and nasty which probably doesnt help and yet many AV gurus claim that it is the last link to the component that is most important. I dont understand how this can be but who am I to argue...........
So i take it you think there wont be any discernible difference between a £30 jobbie and a much more expensive item ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom