Power issues

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by DrGreentumb, Aug 26, 2006.

1. DrGreentumb

DrGreentumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi people my question is about power issues, i have about 11 items that i'm using in my room, and there is only 2 double plug sockets in the room and i need more, currently i'm using 2, 1 to 5 adopters on each of the double sockets , so how many things is it safe to plug into the sockets? because the equiptment is expensive and i hear that low current can be more damaging that an over load

2. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Each of the 1 to 5 adapters can usually take a maximum of 13 amps, and the reason for this of course is the fuse in the plug. The maximum rating will be marked on each adapter. 13 amps equates to a total wattage of 3120 watts per adapter, so you can plug five pieces of equipment into each adapter that adds up to a maximum of 3120 watts. The maximum power rating of each piece of equipment should be on the back near the serial number, or in the handbook. It would be better if total equipment power load was spread across the two 1 to 5 adapters, for example, 2000 watts on each rather than 1000 watts on one and 3000 watts on the other. Most of the time most of the equipment will be running at less than the maximum amount stated on the label or in the handbook, but it's the maximum that should be used for calculation purposes.

The maximum that can be taken from the two double plug sockets will probably be 30 amps or 7200 watts - assuming it's a 30 amp ring main. Anymore than that and the fuse box circuit breaker should trip, or if it's a wired fuse type it should blow.

I hope that helps.