1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power extension leads with FLAT cabling

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by SpeakerboxDude, Mar 22, 2004.

1. SpeakerboxDude

SpeakerboxDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know whether it is possible to buy extension plugs that have FLAT cables? I need to connect up my speaker system with power coming from the other side of the room as that's the only socket I have. Therefore rather than having a thick cable running right down the middle of my room, it would be great if I could get a cable supplying the power from the wall socket that is flat/thin and discrete.

Anyone know? Thanks alot..

2. SpeakerboxDude

SpeakerboxDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or does anyone know where I can get a power extension cable with a minimum of 5 sockets and AT LEAST 8 metres long. It seems like everyone sells power extension cables that are only 2 metres long...why?

3. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I haven't seen any flat power cables, but why not just buy the 2m extension that you want, along with 10m of power cable (and plug), and rewire the extension with the 10m cable?

Balders.

4. SpeakerboxDude

SpeakerboxDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That seems like a very interesting suggestion but I must admit I am not electrician. I have no idea how to do that and will probably end up electrocuting myself lol. How hard is it to do? And are there really no extension cables available at 8 metres ?:confused:

5. SpeakerboxDude

SpeakerboxDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't look like anybody does a straight 10m extension cable so does anyone know if it is safe (i.e. the plugs won't blow) to connect a 1m extension cable with 5 plug sockets to an 8m extension lead that will connect into my power supply? Is there a chance of power overload or anything like that :confused: ?

How do all you guys that have loads of equipment sort out where to plug it in all?

6. SpeakerboxDude

SpeakerboxDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Balders did you mean something like this:

--------
    [OOOO]--------[O]<--->[O]-------------------------------------[O]
    --------

{A} {b} {C}

So~

A= 4 sockets with 2 metre lead
    B= Plug of {A} connects to socket of 10 metre extension of {B}
    C= 10 metre extension cable connects into the wall socket

Could someone tell me if this is safe? I know we are supposed to feel like we are experiencing explosions, bangs and fires with Home Cinema but I would prefer they remain illusions :D Thanks

7. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

That's one option (like the piccy, by the way!).

I was actually thinking more along the lines of replacing the 2m cable with the 8m one,

1 - start with 2m extension socket and 8m flex+plug
    [OOOO]-------[O]
    &
    --------------------------------[O]

2 - remove 2m flex from socket
    [OOOO] -> -------[O]

3 - wire in 8m flex
    [OOOO] <- -----------------------------------------[O]

4 - voila! 8m extension socket
    [OOOO]-----------------------------------------[O]

Wiring in the 8m flex should be as easy as wiring a plug.

I've done this myself with some other household extensions, but not with my home cinema kit. I can't think of any reasons why it wouldn't be safe (it's just a longer cable, nothing else), but I'm not a trained electrician, so can't give you a firm yes or no.

Balders.