1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power DVD vs Theatertek player

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by adesonic, Aug 12, 2003.

1. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any views on the comparative strengths and weaknesses of these two players? I have Power DVD but am thinking of switching to the Theatertek player (based on some reviews) but owuld like some other opinions before I lay out the cash.

Thx in advance

2. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Theatertek has superior image quality using the latest Sonic decoders.... it also has excellent HTPC type facilities for playing DVDS, like saving default aspect ratio settings and start position.

Where it is let down, is via its dependencies on Microsofts interface code, which can cause problems. Fast forward/rewind is troublesome...

Zoomplayer is an excellent alternative (but does not include filters), I personnally prefer and have purchased TT, but have friends who like the ability within ZP to select the Sonic video and powerdvd sound through the graph builder facilities... I also belive but have not checked the profressional version, which is near to TT is terms of facilities...

Depending on your outlay on equipment, there is very little to be lost in trying out Theatertek, if you use a projector and want to create a cinema, remote controlled, full screen environemnt and dont need to play low quality avi's etc, then TT is the way to go in my opinion..

I hope this helps..
    Paul.

3. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi, I have both players but tend to run Powerdvd5 for the most part (mainly due to audio issues with my HTPC and soundcard/ amp. I think Theatertek is a great player, but I would also consider Nvidia 2.55 which I actually think has the best picture. You can download a demo for free to try this out!

By the way Paublo, congrates on finally getting the HGS-18. I was gonna bid £1900 but decided I am not such an ar*s*hole, as you probably had to go cap in hand to 'er indoors to up your bid to £1800!! :D You're a lucky guy!!

Cheers,

Steve

4. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I downloaded theatertek this evening and used it to watch Star Trek Nemesis- excellent picture quality - so far, I am very pleased

5. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers madders.... I am looking forward to the HGS....

I hope it was worth the wait.. and stress for Nathan.... he appears to be doing better now... just a few more bits to go.. :)

6. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,679
    I have both and prefer TT - but as I have a few SVCDs and VCDs I use PowerDVD for this. But for DVDs TT has better piccie quality and the aspect ration control is great for non-anomorphic dvds when using a projector as you can "expand" the image to fit the screen. I've had not regrets in buying it - but agree FF/FRW can be troublesome.

Cheers

7. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    why not try zoomplayer, building a custom graph? You can then have the benefits of the latest sonic bits and the ability to play svcd's etc..

Cheers
    Paul.

8. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

The M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card bundled with Theatertek (OEM) on www.digitalconnection.com for $129.00

The soundcard goes for $89 on it's own so you're getting TT for 30 dollars. Is this a good price?

Owen

9. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yes.

10. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,679
    Paublo, it sounds like hard work getting everything to run in Zoomplayer. I had a mess around with it before and it didn't do what I wanted at the time. Is the newer version better? Is it easy to build graphs?

11. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I havent used it since 2.90, as I dont want Svcd's etc.... it appears daunting to begin with, but the levels of customisation and support from their forum is excellent... worth the hassle IMO..

I believe the newest versions have automatic graph builders.. I may go and have a play for a laugh... sad...

Paul.

12. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,679
    Might be curious myself and give it a go

Cheers

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    I would think using Zoomplayer with just PowerDVD should be simple enough - just choose it from one of the video/audio combinations and register the filters - all done with a few clicks of the mouse. Not sure if the later one comes with Sonic filters as a selection, but if you use TT and use the default, it may pick them up and use TTs vid/audio.

Just a thought.

Gary.