• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

power DVD 12 advice. (3D)

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Hi

I have been using powerDVD12 for watching blu ray movies on my new TV for the last few weeks without issue, however i finally purchased a few pairs of 3d glasses.

I cant get 3D to work. Does anyone have any thoughts.

I dont think it is the TV, the test image works fine (though it is really flickery - I am hoping that is just the test image and wont be in movies)

From what I can tell, the LED on the front of the set turns blue when in 3D mode. if this is the case, powerDVD is simply not sending a 3d signal as the TV never seems to go into 3d (and the picture looks ok without glasses)

Software
PowerDVD 12 ultra
i5 with geforce GTX 560ti
connected using HDMI with a mini adapter. (1.4 cable)

I dont have the nvidia 3d play software as i didnt think it was needed for films.

hardware
Sharp aquos 70 inch 836E

films tried

promethius
Conan

I am tempted to just sack it off and buy a ps3, but not really the point, and a waste of cash as what ever i use it is only a stopgap till the new xbox3 or new ps4

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Hi
I am sure that you need 3DTV play if you want to watch 3D Blu-ray.
[/url]
Hope this helps.

ahh so you think I DO need 3DTV play?

thanks for the links. powerDVD does see my tv but if i need 3dtv play that would explain it.

pretty shocking however given that the powerdvd already costs more than a standalone 3d player.

H8U2

The outlay on a htpc is massive, all the components, operating system, plus the software to just watch a 3d movie, and it my not work as expected.
My own system is a Shuttle SZ77R5, that is small enough to move around the house.
A ps3 is a good buy as you can pick them up for £70, anyway good luck.

mrrodge

ahh so you think I DO need 3DTV play?

thanks for the links. powerDVD does see my tv but if i need 3dtv play that would explain it.

pretty shocking however given that the powerdvd already costs more than a standalone 3d player.

Hi there,

I can confirm you DON'T need Nvidia's 3DTV play for 3D BD movies, it's just for games on a 3D system other than Nvidia's proprietary 3D Vision.

I have the same setup with PDVD12 and it works fine, albeait with a much lower spec (GT430, i3).

Firstly make sure you've enabled Nvidia's stereo 3D in the drivers. I can't remember the specifics, but in the Nvidia control panel you can enable stereo 3D and specify what type of output (I believe there's an option for HDMI 1.4 TV). There's a test image that shows the nvidia badge moving towards and away from you. Give it a go.

If you get that far, you need to set up PDVD. Are you using the 10ft GUI, 'Cinema Mode'? If so, when you've enabled the Nvidia stereo drivers you should be able to select 'Stereo View' in PDVD with your remote. If you don't see the blue menu, press stop and hault playback. If you're using the desktop version of PDVD, there's a little 3D emblem near the playback controls that appear when you move the mouse. Click it, and your TV should jump into 24hz 3D mode.

I've found that enabling 3D in the driver causes 2D 24p not to work though, it makes the TV jump into 3D mode whenever you select 24p refresh rate. I have to watch 2D BD in 60hz. (Samsung series 6 TV).

Hope this helps! Let us know how you get on.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom