power cuts and ps3 being switched on?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by dilfred, Feb 1, 2009.

1. dilfred

dilfred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've been gettting power cuts today and one of the problems has been the ps3 being on at the time and therefore not booting down correctly as it just gets turned straight off.

It seems to cause problems being able to use the controllers to start it up again sometime among other things.

Has anyone any idea how bad it is for the ps3 to power down like this unfortunate situation and what physically could be "upset" by it?
    Just wondering if something like an uninterupted power supply or something maybe needed to minimise this should it happen in the future to at least give me time to power it down quickly...

Thanks

2. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Yeah it is potentially dodgy, in the same way as turning it off at the back or at the socket without putting it into standby first.

Don't know the technical ins and outs of it, something to do with the hard drive i think.

Best bet is to have it switched off if you're having electrical work done or doing anything which might cause the power supply to be interrupted.

If it's random power cuts then there's not really much you can do. I suppose you could have your ps3 on a socket circuit connected to a generator, it's a bit extreme though! :D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  3. Alphathon

Alphathon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yeah, it is a potential problem, but unless you run it from a generator there's not much you can do about it. In terms of the physical damage, the same applies to computers, 360s etc as well. I would think that it could potentially cause damage, but nothing that would stop it from functioning (it may shorten the lifespan a little). It's just a fact of life though really.

4. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,178
    I half agree with others, yeah it's potentially dodgy at certain points but ive switched it right off at the back many times with no problem, same with the 360 at the wall.
    Suppose it's only gonna cause problems with power cuts if the ps3 was saving or updating then thats gonna be unfortunate and must have happened to others, may end up with a corrupt save or potentially a bricked machine if on a update install but that would be quite unlucky. But in general shouldn't really do any harm mid game or on dash so wouldn't worry too much about it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  5. barahawk

barahawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    if power cuts are a problem in your area buy an ups (better option than a generator)... it will give you the time to power down the console correctly.

6. sunnybacon

sunnybacon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Yeah my cousin in India has one of those connected to his computer, and they get a few power cuts every day, so this gives him time to shut down properly.

7. Darth_terra

Darth_terra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +956
    If the HDD drive is doing nothing then you would be fine, it's if the HDD drive is active and the power goes that you could have the HDD drive fail ie the read / write heads crash and hit the HDD disc plates, it doesn't always happen but it can, i have seen a fair few PC's have this issue.