1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power cords and picture quality!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Denmark, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Denmark

Denmark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    High-end Power cords can improve sound quality but what about picture quality?
    Is there anybody who has any experience with power cords and picture quality?

2. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I am sticking my head above the parapet here so expect to get a lot of flak, but yes they do. The power supplies on most plasmas are cheap switched mode supplies which allow a lot of mains borne noise into the circuits of the plasma. A good power conditioner or power cable can reduce the amount of noise and clean up the picture. I use quite an an expensive hifi power cable and RF mains filter for my plasma and it does get rid of noise and improves colours.

A mate sells high end cables and mains conditioners for the hifi market. However an awful lot of his customers are now AV guys with high end setups who buy very expensive conditioners and power cables just for the AV system/plasma.

3. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    if you look on the cables forum you will see this has been discussed in depth :D

imo the belkin av pure distribution block with 4 stage filtration (about £60) meets all the requirements for av systems

i also note that my panasonic plasma lead as supplied uses a high grade 13amp plug together with ferrite rings to cut out dirty supply problems

hope this helps

4. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, I am using the expensive stuff for the plasma because I reconfigured my hifi system and had some spare leads and a conditioner lying around. I tried them on the plasma, and decided that they were staying there. I am sure it can be done for cheaper than I am doing it though! (Am using a Russ Andrews Reference powerkord and distrubution block and also a dpa mains rf purifier)

5. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Second vote for the Belkin pureAV here - I bought one and it cleared up all the picture noise issues I was seeing (51" rptv).

As well as mains filtering it also surge protects, has an unlimted insurance payout (not tested!) and will protect all your cabling including the satellite coax and phone line.

As a plus it used to come with a set of interconnects...don't know if it still does, they're cheap but not rubbish.