Power control from TV

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by masaccio, Jan 12, 2018.

1. masaccio

masaccio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha receiver and subwoofer that I want to turn on when my TV is on. I happen to also have an APC UPS with master and slave ports and so I can connect the TV to the master port and the amp/subwoofer to the slave ports. It works a dream.

Here’s the challenge then. My amp also supports Apple airplay and I previously used it to stream music to from iTunes. I used an iOS app to turn everything on (Simple Control, fka Roomie). But now the amp is a slave to the TV drawing current before the amp is turned on.

So I am sh*t outa ideas on how I can have th Tv automatically turn on the amp when it’s needed but still let me turn the amp on through IP control as it hasn’t no power because the UPS controls its power.

Ideas?

2. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    Would it not just make more sense to use a Harmony to do this? Add a compatible smart plug if you want to actually isolate the devices rather than use standby.

The harmony will have activities like "watch TV" "Play Music" etc which will only power on the necessary devices.

3. masaccio

masaccio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Harmony needs a Hub to use IP devices, which I have (everything is hidden and remote apart from the TV), which is admittedly just a money barrier.

I do like the remote for my TV, which is my primary source of entertainment, so I’m reluctant to buy a new one. I also used to have a Harmony IR remote and it was a pile of poo that the other half couldn’t deal with. The TV remote controlling the TV’s Amazon/Netflix apps has been a total success for her, but it’s left me not being able to stream music through the same amp.

I’ve thought about some kind of IP-controlled device that could draw current and have that on an extension with the TV. I do have a Z-wave plug, but it’s annoying efficient for what I need in that with nothing plugged into it, it draws pretty much no current so the UPS doesn’t recognise it as a master control.

4. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    If I conveniently ignore the money side of things you could do what I suggested above but add an echo dot or Google home mini to the setup.

So your wife uses a simple voice command to turn everything on but then uses the TV remote to operate it.

Same thing with playing music, simple voice command to switch everything using the harmony hub to music mode.

My wife is a long suffering tech wife struggling to keep track of all my tech. However the GHM and our various smart home stuff (a house full of Hue, some smart plugs and others to follow) is finally the tech she's jumped straight on board with. For once it's her suggesting things to add to the system, she wants me to fit a thermostat next. As a lifelong geek it's worth its weight in gold for that reason alone.

5. masaccio

masaccio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, money is important, but hardly a logical priority given the new TV was the best part of US$ 2k. I did look at the Harmony hub and worried about the device limits. I guess you’ve had no problems with that?

6. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Whats wrong with just using HDMI-CEC? - that's what CEC is for.

My TV is connected to my AVR via HDMI. When I switch the AVR or the TV on, both switch on due to HDMI-CEC behavior. I also use the second HDMI on the AVR to feed a small monitor so that I don't need the TV when just listening to music - HDMI CEC switches that on/off automatically.

My sub has a trigger input so that the AVR can switch it on when it turns on, so my sub gets automatically switched on and off as well. While many subs don't have a trigger in, they often have an auto-standby/auto-on when they get a signal. (I personally don't like this as some go into standby too soon).

I also have Logitech harmony hub as well which give me remote control of everything as well with activities for music (Only AVR on) and TV (TV and AVR on) and Movie (BD player, AVR and TV on).

7. masaccio

masaccio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My receiver doesn’t turn on through CEC, so needs some other control.

It does support power on through IP control, which I was using Simple Control for before, but I am trying to simplify everything and Simple Control isn’t really that simple as it’s still using foreign remotes.

8. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    Honest answer, I don't use a Harmony myself. I've got an old Philips Pronto setup with multiple RF extenders and 3 RU990 remotes (AKA TSU7500 in the states) I'd struggle to replace.

I am tempted to keep my remotes but add a Harmony Hub to allow me to add control of stuff to Google Home.