1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Consumption

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by shyewei, Aug 10, 2005.

1. shyewei

shyewei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Anyone know how significant the difference in power consumption between a plasma and LCD of similar sizes is?

Would this make a significant difference in the amount of electricity used?

Just wondering because everyone makes a deal of how much lower LCD power consumption is. Are we talking hole in the ozone layer or running a light bulb for a day?

Shye

2. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Once upon a time plasma panels had higher power consumption compared to LCD. That's long gone. Some facts:

(1) Pioneer 5G plasmas have similar max power numbers compared to LCD screens of the same size.

(2) The power consumption of plasma displays varies a lot depending on whether they show bright or dark scenes. Power is only consumed for very bright pixels. Black pixels barely consume any power on plasma panels. In contrast when using LCD the backlight is on all the time, even for totally dark scenes. The means plasma displays will have much lower average power consumption numbers than the max power consumption number in the manual sais. With LCD the difference between max power and average power consumption is not as big.

(3) Pioneer 6G plasmas will reduce power consumption even further by 20-40% compared to 5G.

(4) The new LED backlights for LCD are power monsters. They consume a whole lot more power than conventional backlights.

As far as I can say 6G Pioneer plasmas will have noticably lower power consumption compared to LCDs with conventional backlights of the same size. Let's not even speak about LED backlights.

Here's a thread which discusses this topic with some real world plasma power consumption numbers:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=556352&highlight=power+consumption

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you worry about the ozone layer, stick with CRT's. Both Plasma and LCD are power-hungry compared to them.

4. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    CRTs are only power saving because they are much smaller. I think when comparing CRT to LCDs/plasmas of the same size, LCD/plasma will win. I have to admit, that this is written from the top of my head, though. Not 100% sure about it. I don't have CRT power consumption numbers on hand...