1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power consumption Plasma v LCD scare stories?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Faust, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi all,

After reading all the horror stories concerning Plasma power consumption versus LCD I have done a little research on the subject. There is a rather helpful energy calculator that you can access for free off the Internet at www.ukpower.co.uk/running-costs-elec.asp I have input the current cost of electricity plus t.v. usage at 4 hours per day. The results are as follows:

37” Viera Plasma 500, power consumption 290 watts = £2.77 per month = £33.24 per year
    32” Viera LCD 500, power consumption 172 watts = £1.64 per month = £19.68 per year
    Difference in the two technologies = £13.56 per year.

If this calculation is correct, then the difference would appear to be negligible and all the scare stories are just that i.e. scare stories.

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Irrelivent imho, my power amp draws 140watts idle, not sure what it draws when in use but surely at least 3x that?
    And I leave it on 24/7.

If you buy a plasma for say £2k, and you use it for 5 years before upgrading, and pay say £30 a month for TV, that is a total of £55 a month you are paying for watching TV, why try and save just over a £ a month by buying an LCD!

If we are talking enviromental issues that is a different matter! ;)

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Scare stories or no, both LCD and plasma are far more power hungry than CRT screens.

4. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Please also note that actual Plasma power consumption varies *a lot*, depending on the images shown. Bright images consume more power. Dark images consume very few power. It's different with LCD, cause the LCD backlight is on all the time, regardless of whether there are black pixels somewhere or not. So the real life average Plasma power consumption is a whole lot lower than the maximum power consumption number taken from the user manual. The real life average LCD power consumption is usually also a bit lower than the maximum number, cause you usually don't run at the highest brightness setting, but the difference between max number and real life consumption is bigger with Plasma.

Please check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=556352

E.g. here's one user reporting about his real life measurements:

Here's another one reporting about his 65" Panasonc (which is rated 695 watts in the manual):
    The Pioneer plasmas are even better than the Panasonics. If you ask me, I think that the 6G Pios might have lower power consumption than LCDs of equal size!

5. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There´s a thead over at AVS that suggests equally sized LCDs consume equal and in some cases MORE power than Plasmas..

6. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Not necessarily true anymore, if you calculate the screen size in. A Plasma/LCD of identical size to a CRT doesn't consume more power than the CRT.

In the thread I posted (I believe) there's one user who actually measured that. And he said his Plasma consumes less power per screen area than his Sony CRT.

7. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Apart from the fact that I pay cash for my products so thats £0 a month, and I usually keep my electrical items a minimum of twelve years, and nearer fifteen in practice. Given the scare stories though, I had expected the difference to be far greater.