1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power consumption Plasma v LCD scare stories?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Hi all,

After reading all the horror stories concerning Plasma power consumption versus LCD I have done a little research on the subject. There is a rather helpful energy calculator that you can access for free off the Internet at www.ukpower.co.uk/running-costs-elec.asp I have input the current cost of electricity plus t.v. usage at 4 hours per day. The results are as follows:

37” Viera Plasma 500, power consumption 290 watts = £2.77 per month = £33.24 per year
    32” Viera LCD 500, power consumption 172 watts = £1.64 per month = £19.68 per year
    Difference in the two technologies = £13.56 per year.

If this calculation is correct, then the difference would appear to be negligible and all the scare stories are just that i.e. scare stories.

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Well found!! It'd be interesting to add CRT in there too. And a projector.

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    It does make you think though. I have seen numerous reports and postings on this forum stating that the power consumption issue is a big consideration when considering the two technologies. If the energy calculator is correct, and I have no reason to doubt otherwise then this really is a none issue - good grief it probably costs as much to run my electric toothbrush.

4. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was horrible with early plasma's, but even then it didn't cost too much, electricity is a lot cheaper than heating or cooking on gas for example. New plasma are even more efficient, and the wattage is the maximum usage (all white screen) on average it's even lower than the companies specify

5. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    When we got our new JVC 26" LCD, I was a little surprised to find that the power consumption was about 30% higher than our old 28" WS Panasonic (130w against 100w). I'm not in the least bothered by this, but it set me thinking - what in an lcd takes all that power? There are no scanning/EHT circuits to worry about (worth about 50watts I think). Perhaps its all those drivers for the lcd 'windows'.

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    It's the cold cathodes tubes for the backlight that draw the bulk of the power needed.