Power consumption among formats

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by ESP, Jul 1, 2005.

1. ESP

ESP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Does anyone if one compressed format versus another consumes more power?

I have the Sony 1GB NW-E107 flash player which claims upto a 70 hour battery life on 1 AAA battery. The fine print however mentions its under conditions playing ATRAC3 @ 105kbps. This leads me to believe that different formats (MP3, ATRAC3plus...) and even different rates have different power consumptions.

I only have my player half full with MP3's and ATRAC3plus @ 64K. So space isn't really an issue and I would re-rip my CD's at ATRAC3 @ 105kbps if it meant my battery would last longer. But if the power consumption difference is negligable, then I wouldn't bother. As for quality, I'm not a stickler as I can't tell the difference between MP3's and ATRAC3's or ATRAC3plus' at various rates on a noisy bus or subway.

Thanks!

2. darkdashing

darkdashing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    atrac is less than mp3, check out the new nw-hd5. 40hours per charge if atrac, 12 if mp3

3. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    12 if mp3? are you sure you dont mean 30?

4. darkdashing

darkdashing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its on par with the ipod from reviews i've read (when using mp3s)

5. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,157
    As far as I know the lower the bitrate the longer the battery lasts. More compressed formats last longer than none compressed so ATRAC etc will last longer than MP3.

6. Linkable

Linkable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get 30 hours out of it easily with mp3 @ 192kbps. I think you are mistaken with the model as the battery of the HD5 is one of it's main advantages over the iPod.

As for formats, I used to convert all my files to ATRACplus 64 for a while, mainly for having more space with about the same quality but I stopped converting for two reasons. The quality was less in more complicated songs (with sometimes a bit of hissing, haven't had that with mp3's) and because the converting took aaages! I think you could manage through 1 Gb but 20 Gb just takes too long.
    I can't say anything about playing time though, except that my HD5 will play 40 hours on ATRAC 32 and it does 30 on my mp3 @ 192kbps.

7. exalnt

exalnt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all my ATRACS on my HD5 are in 256K format and it went almost flat yesterday and i had to charge it for the FIRST TIME since the night i got it... which was 4 weeks ago....

damn i love my HD5 :D