• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Power consumprion on the new LCD

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I noticed before but after a few questions have come my way about it can somone please tell me that the numbers on the LG website for the typical power consumption of the new LG LCDs is wrong!

The numbers say that a 32" LCD will consume 150 Watts of power, and the LF7700 consumes 310 Watts...!? My 32" LG plasma consumes less than that and numbers for 32" LCDs normally come in around 100Watts, or even lower.

So, if any owners of the new LCDs can send their own numbers this way then that would be appreciated :thumbsup:

cheers

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Your manual states 230 watts power consumption. I would imagine a LCD would also have some sort of typical figure.

Monarch

Distinguished Member
230 Watts is the rated power consumption, that's when every pixel is lit white, which never happens. Typical consumption is closer to 120-130 Watts. The stated 150 Watts on the new LCDs is a lot more than the competition though, Panasonics L32S10 uses 90 Watts (110 watts rated) compared to 150 Watts on the LGs, V10 (with build in freesat) uses 110 Watts (155 Watts rated), compared to LGs freesat TV which is stated at 310. Even if it is the rated power consumption, it still seems abnormally high

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
What is the issue here, 100watts - 150watts = two light bulbs switched on for say 6 hours a day. My wife uses a 2000watt hair drier for 20 mins each day which makes nonsense of the TV consumption, add to that the 2000watt electric oven, the 1500watt Kettle and all the general lighting that is switched on we are starting to split hairs on power useage here.

Monarch

Distinguished Member
it's more of an issue which has been bought up to me fairly regularly as the LGs power consumption does seem to be greater than the competitors and I was hoping to get to the bottom of it and see whether they did consume a lot of power or the numbers were just taken from everything else. And when you consider how long a TV could be on in any given day the extra 50 Watts could add up over time

and the quoted 310Watts of the LF7700 which is a hell of a lot more!

J4CK DANIELS

Established Member
It must be a typo on the LG website. ALL the LF7700 range say they pull the same (310W) on the web, and compare that with a 47"LCD (LH5000) at 260W i'd say that LG have got it wrong!!... Also the Freesat models come with the EST logo (which must mean that it is less than 250W on running anyway!) :thumbsup:

George Mead

Established Member
it's more of an issue which has been bought up to me fairly regularly as the LGs power consumption does seem to be greater than the competitors and I was hoping to get to the bottom of it and see whether they did consume a lot of power or the numbers were just taken from everything else. And when you consider how long a TV could be on in any given day the extra 50 Watts could add up over time

and the quoted 310Watts of the LF7700 which is a hell of a lot more!

Monarch - thanks for pointing out. The data is not correct and will be updated tomorrow: this is the actual power consumption data:

32" 180W (energy saving recommended by the Energy Saving Trust)
37" 190W, (energy saving recommended by the Energy Saving Trust)
42" 230W, (energy saving recommended by the Energy Saving Trust)
47" 310W

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom