• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

power cable

johnny75

Standard Member
Hi all
i just bought the 42PQ3000 and the first thing the man said to do was change the power cable the cable was £45 he said it would give me a better picture and sound i am new to all this so any help would be greatful and any other advice
cheers.

Alan Mac

Prominent Member
Changing the power cable that is provided with the 42PQ3000 for a more expensive one is, I am sorry to say, a waste of £45.

Power cables have no effect on picture or sound quality.

If power cables did have an effect on picture or sound, this could be measured by test equipment or demonstrated in a double-blind subjective test but no-one has ever managed to do so.

Alan

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Did he say to change the house wiring as well?
A classic con I'm afraid.

Slackadder

Established Member
Not familiar with the TV model given.....

But as an owner of a Pioneer LX5090 I can say that the panel buzz has been lessened quite a bit with a change of cable to a Chord power cable.

If the salesman was so sure he should offer it on a home trial basis and if you aren't happy be able to take it back.

Power cable flaming seems to be flavour of the month at the moment!!! ;) Power cables aren't a magic solution (panacea), and to some people they won't give very noticeable results - but for some peoples' kit and homes they do work wonders.

Anthony

Alan Mac

Prominent Member
But as an owner of a Pioneer LX5090 I can say that the panel buzz has been lessened quite a bit with a change of cable to a Chord power cable.

Anthony

The “panel Buzz” is a mechanical vibration probably caused by magnetostriction in a transformer. The mechanical action of removing the original mains connector and inserting the new connector is very likely to alter the volume of the buzz, by very slightly changing the mechanical structure of the “panel”.

Try twisting the mains inlet connector slightly with the panel operating and observe the effect on the buzz level.

Alan

Last edited:

dan1979

Prominent Member
Did you also replace the 20 metres of cheap cable under the floorboards/in the walls? Otherwise it's hard to see how it could make any difference.

Having your AV kit on a seperate ring to things like microwave/fridge freezer may have some merit though.

deaf cat

Established Member
As above, ask to borrow it!

Or, ask if you buy it, and you hear and see no difference, can you have a full refund?

You can decide what to do on the salesman's answer.

If my Panasonic had a detatchable power lead I would be trying different leads, just out of interest.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Power cable flaming seems to be flavour of the month at the moment!!!

For very good reason , its a complete con , there is absolutely no way such things could possibly do what they claim to do.

The people selling these things should be wearing masks.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Any thoughts on the PS Audio Power Plant Premier then

Theres a big difference between swallowing the guff about "magic" IEC mains leads and having what amounts to your own AC Generator.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Andy,

Any thoughts on the PS Audio Power Plant Premier then.....;)

Anthony

As Andy has rightly said,there's a world of difference between replacing pieces of wire connected to the same old mains supply,and actually using a regenerative mains supply,which delivers a completely clean supply,albeit at considerable cost.

pwood

Prominent Member
Changing the power cable that is provided with the 42PQ3000 for a more expensive one is, I am sorry to say, a waste of £45.

Power cables have no effect on picture or sound quality.

If power cables did have an effect on picture or sound, this could be measured by test equipment or demonstrated in a double-blind subjective test but no-one has ever managed to do so.

Alan

My experience shows an upgraded power cable has no effect on a either plasma screen I have but everyone has different mains quality. I do find the sound improves when used on the end of my cd player and amp.

Russ Andrews whilst expensive and in some cases ott regards claims of improvements have some worthwhile articles including this one regards measured proof which was carried out as a result of an advertising complaint made against them.

OP enjoy your tv and if 6months down the line you want to try a cable then on you go. No point getting both so soon. If tempted either for tv or cd player/amp then MARKGRANT make a very good cable with the all important twists in the cable. A shielded cable on its own is pointless unless its being run alongside the aerial/video cables.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
There are plenty of posts about that so called joke of a proof.

The test in the so called proof measures shielding performance only , nothing at all to do with cleaning up the mains ..... its an exercise in misdirection and the original ASA ajudication stands regardless .

If there was ever to be a proof it should be measuring noise on the incoming mains and then showing the reduced noise on the mains by inserting their product , something they will never do because it cant be done.

Instead they waffle on about things that are impossible to measure , as in the ASA adjudication .... what a load of rubbish !!

Everyone does have different quality mains , thats true , despite this fact , that product can do nothing about it whatsoever , what it claims to do is entirely and completely impossible.

All current device power supplies are designed to work to the best of their ability with standard mains supplies.
However if you feel you need to spend a lot of cash cleaning up your power line , spend it on a mains conditioner , this will at least do something , unlike these " magic cables " which are a pure con.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Good clean mains does make a difference, I have a ringmain and a set up with dedicated spurs on a dedicated line. All using high quality, low impedence cabling (Note I did not say high cost)

I am VERY sceptical about expensive mains cables, but open minded about the concept that different RF cable properties might have an impact. But dedicated spurs work, I can and have A-B'd. I have A-B'd to numerous others, two are now about to install a dedicated supply.....

Have a read about main spurs, impedence and interference and be open minded.

For me it was one of, if not the most cost effective upgrade I have made to my system.

scorpion88

Established Member
Good clean mains does make a difference, I have a ringmain and a set up with dedicated spurs on a dedicated line. All using high quality, low impedence cabling (Note I did not say high cost)

I am VERY sceptical about expensive mains cables, but open minded about the concept that different RF cable properties might have an impact. But dedicated spurs work, I can and have A-B'd. I have A-B'd to numerous others, two are now about to install a dedicated supply.....

Have a read about main spurs, impedence and interference and be open minded.

For me it was one of, if not the most cost effective upgrade I have made to my system.

I thought this thread was about the benefits of new ultra expensive power cables not about a major rewire of the house.

Obviously this could not just improve your hi-fi but also more general components in your house.

Also would be wise ro engage a qualified electrition unless of course this is also in your sphere of exertise.

I still remain sceptical about your enthusiasm about the benefits you claim and £300 cables.

Cheers

Kef and Denon

Standard Member
I'm new to all of this AV stuff, but I have a few thoughts about different cables...

The only real issue that I can see is the mains cable causing interference with other cables. If you run it near speaker (or subwoofer) cables then you may get some issues, but even with my system I can't hear any issues. This could probably be fixed by shielding, and then the cost of the cable would still be small (nowhere near £45).

The power supplies in AV equipment will almost certainly have capacitors in it 'smoothing' the electricity. Surely these will eliminate any imperfections in the power supply?

I'm a bit annoyed with the AV industry. They try to sell over priced cables and it makes it difficult for me to know what to believe. Some arguments just don't add up though.

Alan Mac

Prominent Member

andy1249

Distinguished Member
If you think £45 is way too much for a mains lead (and I do too), how about this “Silver Signature PowerKord” fro Russ Andrews, a mere £5,490.00 for a 2 m length. !!

I find it absolutely incredible that this is not illegal !

Avi

Distinguished Member
I find it absolutely incredible that this is not illegal !

I like the description of the cryo treatment -

"Cryogenic treatment involves extreme cooling of the metal parts of the plug and the theory is that it de-stresses them. In terms of sound quality, we’ve found that the PowerKords fitted with treated plugs sound smoother, more three-dimensional and less ‘closed in’ than ones fitted with untreated plugs."

I decided to send my power cables for a tropical holiday to "de-stress" them. For those that can't afford this sending them for weekend at the spa may help..... Maybe talking to them helps;)

AVI

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I thought this thread was about the benefits of new ultra expensive power cables not about a major rewire of the house.

Obviously this could not just improve your hi-fi but also more general components in your house.

Also would be wise ro engage a qualified electrition unless of course this is also in your sphere of exertise.

I still remain sceptical about your enthusiasm about the benefits you claim and £300 cables.

Cheers

sorry if I went off course. I agree with the high priced sillyness, I paid £2.59 per m for my cabling (6mm2 high quality copper) the super expensive stuff is ridiculous ....

Maybe I could improve things further with screened cabling I will experiment. But with 13 extensions at 4m long it's got to be cheap !

scorpion88

Established Member

Alan Mac

Prominent Member

scorpion88

Established Member
Yes, of course it’s in the sale! It is reduced from £6,100.00 !!

Quite a bargain. I am sure there wlll be quite a queue in the morning to pick one up before they sell out. They would not take my credit card on the basis of first come first served.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom