Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Power cable routing ....

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sharkbait, May 10, 2003.

1. sharkbait

sharkbait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK ... since I found this forum a few months ago I have become obsessed with trying to get the best out of my equipment. :eek:

I have re-wired both of my setups ... with a huge improvement to both. :smashin:

I am now looking at the wiring on my main HC setup - and wondering whether to re-loom it. I have a very nice glass shelved rack which hold all of my equipment wonderfully. However, it only has a single cable route (about 1.5 inces in diameter) to put all of the cables down. I have the speaker cables, interconnects and power leads all bundled together in a very nice cable run.

However, I am now wondering whether I should seperate out the mains cables from the lower level signals. Do you think I will see much improvement?

I could probably form 2 runs either side of the back of the rack and then keep the mains wires to one side. It will be a bit of a pain to do ... hence asking for advice first before I chop into the lovely neat cables.

My mains cables are all 'out of the box' jobs. None of them are shielded.

Or am I just getting too paranoid now. :rolleyes:

My audio sounds fabulous ... I am very pleased with that - it is PQ that concerns me most at the moment.

Any thoughts?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    You'd almost certainly get some improvement by separating the various cable types...power/low level/video.
    best way is to try,and if you notice no improvement,put them all back in the usual cable run.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    To keep it a bit tidier try a cable sleeve, also try using the shortest cables you can and if they must cross then cross at 90deg and never run different cables parrallel. You could also try upgrading Scarts to video only (RGB) etc
    Also keep equipment with motor ie DVD's/VCR away from amp or STBs as the magnetics can cause interferance.

4. sharkbait

sharkbait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice chaps.

I spent 3 hours re-wiring it all yesterday. I ran my mains leads together on one side, my RF and audio leads in the middle and my video interconnects on the other side. That put about 18 inches between my mains leads and video cables.

'Video only' SCARTS are not really an option as my wife likes to watch the STB through the TV speakers ... yeah I know. :rolleyes:

So ... was it worth the effort. God damn ... I can't tell. :eek:

If there is an improvement, it is very subtle. It is difficult to reference as there was a 3 hour delay between the viewings. Doh.

Anyway .... I feel better knowing that the cabling is more sensible now. :smashin: