power cable for panny

technovorgin

Standard Member
Reaction score
the power lead (kettle type) i got with my panny has a 'bobble' next to the plug and another 'bobble' at the other end the problem is its too short is it possible to buy a longer cable with the bobbles?

bobble? I think you mean ferrite (a similar cylinder type plastic modling to that you see on monitor cables). I would just go ahead and buy a longer lead from Maplin or somewhere like that and use it unless you discover any other problems (e.g. your vcr starts recording strange patterns or noise).

The ferrites are used to limit RF interference coming out from the TV. This is a legal requirement. Other then that is served no real purpose. All electronic equipment sold in Europe these days are also designed to be immune from RF interference so unless the TV was really bad you shouldn't suffer any problems in real life.

I'd recommend going for a Russ Andrews mains lead upgrade - I was quite astonished with the improvement.

SNICK said:
I'd recommend going for a Russ Andrews mains lead upgrade - I was quite astonished with the improvement.
who?
what does it do mate

888 said:
bobble? I think you mean ferrite (a similar cylinder type plastic modling to that you see on monitor cables). I would just go ahead and buy a longer lead from Maplin or somewhere like that and use it unless you discover any other problems (e.g. your vcr starts recording strange patterns or noise).

The ferrites are used to limit RF interference coming out from the TV. This is a legal requirement. Other then that is served no real purpose. All electronic equipment sold in Europe these days are also designed to be immune from RF interference so unless the TV was really bad you shouldn't suffer any problems in real life.
i have some ferrites(bobbles) i got with the telly so can use them if i need to

I'm a bit sceptical about mains gear. To improve your picture spend your money everywhere else 1st, ie spend £500 on a video cable before spending £50 on a power lead. The idea originated in USA where they deal with 1/2 the voltage, twice the current, and standard plugs are made of corroded aluminium, and have a very small contact area. They have more reason to upgrade mains stuff than us, ours is not bad to start with. Back on topic, yes, just buy/make up a cable of the required length and stick some ferrites on it from the bunch they give you. Sadly, they do almost nothing, you just have to keep the mains as far away from other cables and devices as possible. Nothing Russ Andrews can do about that.

MAW said:
I'm a bit sceptical about mains gear. To improve your picture spend your money everywhere else 1st, ie spend £500 on a video cable before spending £50 on a power lead. The idea originated in USA where they deal with 1/2 the voltage, twice the current, and standard plugs are made of corroded aluminium, and have a very small contact area. They have more reason to upgrade mains stuff than us, ours is not bad to start with. Back on topic, yes, just buy/make up a cable of the required length and stick some ferrites on it from the bunch they give you. Sadly, they do almost nothing, you just have to keep the mains as far away from other cables and devices as possible. Nothing Russ Andrews can do about that.
cheers maw :thumbsup:
by the way ive got the bug
im thinking of buying the following any sugestions needed please so i dont make a cock up
harmon karden dvd 25 £267
harmon karden avr 5550 £677
kef 1005.1 speaker set up £399
all from the dege
will this all go with my pwd6 ok
will it improve things for me?
i looked at the stuff at a local store and he said i should plug everything into the 5550 (inc sky via a scart to component out box he says is £80) then run everything into plasma via component lead
im really confused

That'll work, though he's not recommending you a good YUV converter, 'fraid the real thing costs about £140, click on JS technology's banner. I always use them, they are the best, and 100% reliable, and as I frequently install them where maintenance would be an issue this is vital! The HK kit is good, the speakers are not up to the quality of the rest.

MAW said:
That'll work, though he's not recommending you a good YUV converter, 'fraid the real thing costs about £140, click on JS technology's banner. I always use them, they are the best, and 100% reliable, and as I frequently install them where maintenance would be an issue this is vital! The HK kit is good, the speakers are not up to the quality of the rest.
im on a limited budget so any ideas are apreciated is there anything out there that works very well but dont cost the earth i think half the reason i want h/k is the name & im surprised the kef speakers aren't up to it :thumbsdow

£677 buys you a lot of AV amp, it may be OTT. Thought of a Yamaha rvx 640, or the dspax if you don't need radio (and who does? DAB is better, add it later)

MAW said:
£677 buys you a lot of AV amp, it may be OTT. Thought of a Yamaha rvx 640, or the dspax if you don't need radio (and who does? DAB is better, add it later)
now we are getting somwhere :D im after being able to play music cds as well as movies but need corner speakers to mount on wall so have to be small but good sound
ive been up all night scouring the web and am more confused than i was when i started
do i really need to put everything through an amp or can i just keep it as it is
ie:
dvd prog scan straight into plasma via component cable with audio going into sony surround amp
and
sky going through scart to vga to plasma with sound in stereo into sony
ive just got a few quid bonus so was wanting to upgrade but because of my impulsive nature went off on one :suicide: and was probably going too high end for my own good
i listen to a music cd once a week and watch a dvd a day the rest of the time the tv is on sky

If your Sony has DD/DTS you're there. Spend some money on the speakers, Kef 5000? Anthony Gallo, with acheaper sub?

MAW said:
If your Sony has DD/DTS you're there. Spend some money on the speakers, Kef 5000? Anthony Gallo, with acheaper sub?
no its the TA-VE 170 dolby prologic it says on front
the s/q has been fine up to now but i thought it was time for a change ive been offered a h/k 5550 ex demo for £450 so i thought it was a good deal and that i could run my sony speakers from the 5550 till i can afford some decent speakers then i got to thinking oh ill have a new set of speakers oh and a new dvd etc etc head ache time :suicide:

maw you have a pm m8

just bought the harmen karden 5550 from sevenoaks in leeds for £450 been on display 3 weeks
so im in the mood for speakers maybe the kef 2005 at £599 unless you boys know any diferent :beer:

Hi Technovorgin

The Kef KHT2005 have got good reviews but the best thing to do (if possible) is to get a dealer to demo some different speakers for you. In the few demos (and my limited experience) of speakers so far has shown me that you can't get big sound from small speakers.

Of course I may be proved wrong yet (copyright MAW) ;)

If you have the space why not consider some floorstanders. My favourite so far are the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3B about the same price as new KHT2005s.

Just a thought
James

You'll have a bit of a job with the evos, James! You are right to a reasonable extent, the best compromise I have found are Anthony Gallo, but you do pay a price. Something's got to give, I guess.

Don't you think they'll fit in my small living room ;)

Perhaps you are right.

I might have to attend a demo of these Anthony Gallo speakers you keep mentioning then.

MAW said:
You'll have a bit of a job with the evos, James! You are right to a reasonable extent, the best compromise I have found are Anthony Gallo, but you do pay a price. Something's got to give, I guess.
a grand is more than i can afford truthfully :eek:
ive had to borrow £100 to afford the kef 2005 ive listened to them today at sevenoaks and was impresed although not totaly blown away
im new to all this spending of BIG money on hifi gear so im looking at spending £500 - £600 MAX

technovorgin said:
a grand is more than i can afford truthfully :eek:
ive had to borrow £100 to afford the kef 2005 ive listened to them today at sevenoaks and was impresed although not totaly blown away
im new to all this spending of BIG money on hifi gear so im looking at spending £500 - £600 MAX
it apears that the kef 2005.2 advertised at play.com and on the auction sites are not uk so are grey imports with only 1 yr sellers guarantee but ive heard you actualy get 2 yrs on sub and 5 yrs on speekers that are uk sourced so will have to wait a bit longer to save the cash :mad:

now sorted iv ordered the kef 2005.2 from sevenoaks sound and vision in leeds at £600 dead :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom