1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power buy Velodyne CHT10 or go for SVS PB10-ISD for double the money?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Iain Shields, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello folks,

I was pretty much set on going the whole hog (still havn't recovered from xmas :( ) and splashing out for a SVS PB10. I've gone as far as asking SVS how much it'll cost me and was quoted £420 all in to get it to my address.

Then I came across the current Velodyne CHT10 power buy for £210 and it stopped me in my tracks so to speak. Both SVS and Velodyne come with an excellent reputation and since the Velodyne started out in roughly the same price bracket that the SVS currently is in now, I'm basicly wondering how much difference there is between them.

With doing alot of reading about the SVS (many thanks to Ian J, Dfour and everyone else who has talked at length about this sub... and who have also given me the confidence to order if it merrits it) it comes across that the PB10- ISD is the better sub... But is it twice as good?

Fyi, I'm using B&W 601 series for the L,C,R and B&W monitors for the RL, RC, RR... driven by a Denon 1803 which will be upgraded further down the line when the new Hi-Def audio formats are released (I'll need to start saving for that one :devil: ) Space is not too much of an issue and my listening is split roughly between 80% for movies and 20% for music.

Regards, Iain.

2. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    420? i dunno how that has happened? poerhaps you could break it down so we can see what is costing what. mine cost me £39x and i dont think people beleived me about that. to be honest, the first quote i got was $110 and the second 3 weeks later was $160 for shipping. i ordered when the dollar was at 1.95 and it made no difference as i was charged what it was when they processed it. but £420 now takes it out of the budget sub arena and into the upper realms i think. i was expecting £360 as ian_j kept on about in many posts, and still did for a while. i also found that bax global werent the reliable folks that people went on about. there was the small matter of them not notifying me that the sub was ready to deliver (cost me 4 days), and then the matterof an extra 2-3 quid for god knows what. yep 2-3 quid is peanuts, but i had to ring them. after numerous calls to different depots to find my package, i struck a deal and then it was delivered.

so there is good and bad points.....the bad points are maybe bax global not knowing what the other is doing, and the good points are HUGE BASS, nice spraypainted? cabinet, works great with music, and with films is fookin awesome.

the SVS customer service is excellent, so if you have any doubts about ordering, ask em why the bax global prices have gone up so much and made their subs not quite the bargain they were.

Dave

3. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've been through this with both Bax and SVS... :suicide:

I firstly emailed SVS for a quote, I was told it would cost $105 door to airport and $220 door to door. I replied to them asking why the door to door price was so much, they said that they wern't sure (possibly because they may have to subcontract the delivery to another company as they may not opperate in my area) and that I could try asking Bax themselves...

I then phoned my local Bax office and was kept on the phone for an hour by a girl trying to explain why it costs the amount it does, basicly it all works out about right, but she was unable to explain to me why it costs you folks on the mainland alot less especially when your airport charges are often more than here in Belfast!! :confused:

Anyway, it works out at about £420 all in to get it to me :(

Regards,
    Iain.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The way that you have structured your question makes it impossible to answer. The PB-10 will go deeper and louder with lower levels of distortion than the Velodyne and in terms of subwoofers is well worth £420 of anyone's money though if that's any help.

The Velodyne was deemed to be a good sub in it's day at a RRP of £450 but times move on and the SVS offering is a much better sub with it's price kept artificially low due to the "direct from manufacturer" sales and the strength of sterling.

5. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i must apologise, my above statements are a bit overly harsh. in fairness to bax, they were helpful after a bit of a shove :)

and last night i didnt notice that you are in n ireland, that may explain the 20 quid extra.

6. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have nothing but good to say about the delivery. What is £420 in €.. 630€? I got mine for 550€ approx, we ordered two of these so we saved couple of tens. So I recommend to "force" one of your buddies go with you, you'll both save.

My 'forumbuddy' lives maybe 600-700km from me, and I used Finnish transport system to deliver the othes sub to him. It's a lot cheaper than Bax's own here! At least when he lives 20km from the bigger cities.

It comes down to the question, "what if". What if you had ordered the "better" one. It IS a lot cheaper to go with the more expensive and stick with it, than to buy the cheaper one and the 'upgradeitis' comes into play after a year or so.. It's a tough call, but I don't regret mine. :thumbsup:

7. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

I understand what your saying as I have often had to pay over the odds to get item's from the mainland to me, but with the door to airport charge of $105, surely the extra it might cost would've been be reflected in this price :confused:

It must be the way Bax structures it's pricing... oh well.

Regards,
    Iain.

8. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes yes, your correct, the question wasn't worded the best, perhaps if I'd asked if the SVS offered a significant step up in performance over the Velodyne now that the Velodyne is at such a good price, to warrent paying the extra?

With you saying that the SVS is a "much better sub" (I take it you've heard both?) I now seem to have my answer! :smashin:

Regards,
    Iain.

9. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One can decide if he/she wants a £400 sub which didn't hold its price very well, or a another £400 sub which holds its own to 2x the price. Now, where could you get an SVS for £200, I want another one.. :clown:

10. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, good news :clap:

I asked Erik K if there was anything else he could do to get the postage price down, he replied saying that there was nothing much extra he could do except ask Bax for another quote...

...well he emailed again to say that he got another quote from them and the price was now $170 for door-to-door delivery :smashin:

This should bring it in under the £400 all in mark which I'm now happy about... except now I've noticed the PB10 that's been put on ebay.

Lol, decisions decisions :suicide:

Regards,
    Iain.

11. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    That would bepend on how much the delivery would be on the ebay sub.

12. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and also are SVS warranties transferable from one person to the other? worth asking the SVS blokes about it :).

13. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    p.s. the shipping on mine was $160, but only a month earlier it was $110.

14. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The shipping on the ebay sub is stated as £40 but i suspect it might be a bit more to N.Ireland and I'm not sure if the warrenty is transferable...

...but to be honest, after I thought about it. You really cant beat a brand new piece of home cinema equipment turning up at your door :hiya:

Regards,
    Iain.

15. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, for almost the same price and a warranty you would be better off going for new and waiting a couple of weeks :)

you wont be dissapointed i assure you :)

16. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go for brand new one. There is no feeling like when you've waited for 1.5 months and you just try to get it out of the big box.. :rotfl:

The quarantee applies for second owner also. SVS-crew is very "stretchy" on those issues, and so helpful. They've said the warranty applies for the product, not the owner. :thumbsup: