• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Power and CAT5 faceplate or CAT5 to COAX

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
First post in this section (plenty in photo and hifi) so hoping someone can help.

I am having work done on my house and there is a possibility I may have to have it re-wired so this is not good but does present some opportunities.

The main opportunity is to fit CAT5 around the house.

I am on VM for everything so have a cable Ethernet router/wifi. My plan would be to extend the cable incoming wire up the side of the building into the loft where I can put the wireless router (may be able to do a test to see if coverage is OK beforehand using a long extension. From there I can distribute the CAT5 cables to probably 4 or 5 rooms/points. The wires can be pulled through with the power cables if I need to change those.

Ideally I would like a double socket faceplate with two CAT5 or one CAT5/one usb charger socket(s) in the standard size double plate. I have seen the double sockets with home plug integrated into them and also with USB charger points but non with power and Ethernet.

Can Anyone point me in the right direction to find one of these or confirm they do not exist.

Alternatively, most rooms have a double coax cable from the loft servicing both aerial and satellite signals. Most of these are not used. So is there an "Ethernet over Coax" solutions that I could use to feed 4-5 sockets from the router. This may be in the form of - VM cable > router > Convert CAT5 to coax > coax to loft > "some sort of distribution box" > coax to rooms > convert back to CAT5. Is this possible and viable in terms of speed/stability/cost (less hassle) ?

Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to scope out my options.

Thanks in advance.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Just to clarify - looking for something like this but without the home plug gubbins

power-ethernet-powerline-side.jpg

or this but with Ethernet connection(s) instead of the USB ones

xpup2u2c-3-medium.png.pagespeed.ic.t-JjcJFoky.png

R-CAD

Established Member
Ideally I would like a double socket faceplate with two CAT5 or one CAT5/one usb charger socket(s) in the standard size double plate. I have seen the double sockets with home plug integrated into them and also with USB charger points but non with power and Ethernet.

Can Anyone point me in the right direction to find one of these or confirm they do not exist.

Look for Euro Modular face plates and make up the socket as you want it.

I've got a few Schneider Electric modular plates that do what you are after. You get a face plate of the appropriate length and then fit either 50mm x 25mm or 50mm x 50mm modules that contain the outlets you want.

Euro modular is supposed to be a standard across brands, but I'd stick to plates and modules from the same brand as there's often something that won't fit correctly.

I was hesitant linking to the below catalogue as it has far to much info in there, but couldn't find anything that just showed the modular options.

http://download.schneider-electric.com/files?p_Reference=Se9800&p_EnDocType=Catalog&p_File_Id=6826649763&p_File_Name=SE9800 WD Catalogue 2017 - WEB.pdf

you want separation between data and power, so terminating both at the same place is a nonstarter

Terminating them at the same position is OK, but if both are unshielded I'd wouldn't run them through walls and ceilings together

Last edited:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Many thanks all. Bit of good news (depending on your point of view), electrician will only need to re-wire the lighting circuit so looks like the opportunity to run in CAT5 is now on hold for a while. May look to just run a single cable up to the loft to add a wifi repeater to improve coverage, this may be easier as I may have to pull up floor boards.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom