1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Amps

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Orbital, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

I'm considering going down the separates route so I've been looking at the various power amps that fall into my price band (say about £800) the Rotel RMB 1075 being a front runner at the moment. I'm not at all bothered about using 2nd hand/ex demo gear so I have been trawling around the online HiFi dealers too looking for bargains :)

One amp that does seem to pop up a bit is the Rotel RB981, which is x2 130watt into 8 ohms and is bridgeable. Now I've never heard this amp, but what I've read about it is encouraging stuff. I know it's not a current model (which to be honest never really bothers me as long as the qualities good) and the thought of getting three of these and bridging each of them to power the front soundstage is a tempting one.

So if they're are any RB981 owners out there please tell me what you think of them and by all means people give me some more ideas of power amps I should be looking at.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a Rotel 1095 on the Tag site for £900, and at 200W x 5 should be good enough for most speakers.

I would not bridge a amp (it triples wattage, but decreases low current drive)

You could look at a Rotel 991 and a 993, 200W per channel. 2 channel & 3 channel respectively. A few 991 & 993 were on ebay recently.

I have several 2 channel amps, I would say these are better than using a single 5 or 7 channel poweramp (unless they have seperate transformers for each channel, basically a 5/7 monobloc with 5/7 toridial transformers)

3. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I must keep an eye on the Tag classified section. I tend not to look at it as it's got lot's of kit that I'd love to buy but don't have the cash :)

Have you heard the 991,993 at all Nathan?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, mates got a 991 & 993. Well built, and heavy. Very good for the money. Noise floor is slightly higher than my Audiolabs (a teeny bit more hiss) but not noticeable from the listening position.

They haven't got the detail I like - compared to my Audiolabs, but work well for hard to drive speakers and I guess for AV you just want tons of power/reserve and not HiFi sound.

Mates impressed with them.

5. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah that's something I should have pointed out. This setup is purely for AV use. I have a Cyrus system for all my stereo listening in the lounge.

The 991/993 sound like a possibility then. Out of interest what Audiolab amps do you use Nathan?

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PX's for AV system, S/SX for stereo system.

The mate with the Rotels prefers the Audiolab sound, but you get less power, and they cost more.