Power Amps

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mjn, Jan 11, 2002.

1. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,803
  2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mono-blocks are the best idea, but you are paying extra boxes and transformers...

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,803
    but overall, must offer the best option. You could buy 14 of them, for a 7.1 setup, and bi-amp all 7 speakers. Don't think you'd be able to buy a 14 channel power amp or even 2 x 7 channels amp??

4. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quote Lowrider: "but you are paying extra boxes and transformers..."

Surely the whole point of monoblocks is that you have a separate power supply (and thus current reserve) per channel. These extra transformers are not wasted.

I sort of agree with you on the boxes, but even there it can be argued these give better channel isolation, plus these are often used as heat sinks on high end models (Naim for example)

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know they are not waisted, just you pay extra... The TAG has 5 independent amps in one box, as do others, but up to a budget I think you might get better quality from all in one, like Rotel...

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,803
    but then you have to buy 5 channels at a time!! what if you don't want another 5 channels.

7. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i have to say that given your equipment, mo

8. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    given your equipment, it would be a worthwhile upgrade. not sure how good the Sony is at processing, but the in-built amps are nowhere near as good as THX Ultra monoblocs. you could add a Lexicon MC12 at a later date, that would be awesome:)

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,803
    MC-12....i ain't won the lottery!!

I tried selling the wife, but i couldn't get £8000 for her, so i decided not to!

10. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy a Rotel 1075, 5x130...

11. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure, the theory goes that the extra isolation of monoblocks will give you a better sound, but in reality, don't you have to make a decision based on the actual sound output an amp makes? Or, to put it another way, would 5 of those babies together give you a better sound than a 5 channel power amp costing around £1150?

Something makes me think not. For all the money that is saved in housing's etc, that are duplicated in the monoblocks, you get a lot of money that could be diverted into better quality components, all things being equal. I rather suspect that the disbenefits of multi-amping in one box will be overcome by improved sonics which could be delivered with the money saved.

Of course, that's just my take on it, and only your ears would prove me wrong, but it's interesting to note that not many people take the route that you've just outlined. That's not a definitve argument, just an observation. But you are right, it would be nice to be able to add channels in a modular way, as and when we fancied/ could afford.