1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Amps

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by General Skanky, Mar 29, 2001.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Anyone use separate stereo/monoblock power amps to drive their channels?
    I ask as I would like to know how great an improvement it was from an integrated.
    I know how big a leap I achieved from a Yamaha 590 to a Yamaha A2 and have always had a keen eye on separate amps anyway.
    I did have a chat a while ago with Ramius as to building DIY amps and have that in mind.
    But this thread is spurred by seeing a brace of Rotel power amps in our wksp, and they seemed to be very good value for money, especially whne configured for monoblock!!
    I know a good proc. is just as important, but it's the power side I'm querying at the moment.
    Cheers.

P.S.
    I can't remember who it was buying poss. Bryston amps a while back, how did you get on?
    ------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

[This message has been edited by General Skanky (edited 29-03-2001).]

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I bought a Rotel pre/power combo and I thought that they were wonderful (sold them to get a different car). I bought them in preference to a Denon A1, which is itself a small improvement over the A2. If you are thinking of getting something that is more than moderately better than an A2, then the only way forward in the pre/power route.
    Rotel make fantastic power amps, and quite good processors too (though not as good as Lexicon by all accounts) for not a lot of money. Also try NAD. They have quite a good range of power amps, some of them THX approved, for a reasonable ammount of cash. The very impressive C370 stereo integrated amp is based upon one of these power amps, to give some indication of quality.

Russell

[This message has been edited by russraff (edited 29-03-2001).]

3. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use monobloc amps, you don't mention what integrated to compare with, some of the top-notch audiophile integrated amps will show a clean pair of heels to cheap monoblocs for quality if not power. A point to keep in mind is system balance, if you change to quality monoblocs it may take your system out of balance and hightlight other areas of your system that may have a weakness. In other words be careful, before you know it you've ended up replacing source, amps and speakers, a costly experience.

Regards
    Gary

4. craig richards3

craig richards3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use musical fidelety power amps. Two as-100's to run the fronts, two x-a50's for the centre, and two more for the rears. I use a Yamaha 795rds as the decoder. When you move to seperate power amps (good ones) you hear so much more, but the overall sound will more than likely be much easier on the ear's.I would not go back to an integrated. My next upgrade will be a seperate proccessor.

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the comments.
    I've looked at the pre/power thing in the past and firmly believe in a 'quality core' of power amps around which to build any system.
    I'm aware that to go this route will in the end mean upgrades for everything else to achieve the best results. Big money. [​IMG]
    I want to know how happy you all are with the results of investing in this route.
    The Rotels I saw certainly struck a pose and sounded quite good, but my real passion would be Bryston.
    Now I've seen in the flesh a stack of amps, it's in the blood. I love my Yamaha, but it doesn't hurt to 'dream' ahead. [​IMG]
    Some time in the future no doubt I'll have saved enough, maybe. [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by General Skanky (edited 29-03-2001).]

6. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Strangely enough General, only yesterday I came across some info regarding the BK Electronics amp modules. http://www.snippets.org/ldsg/sect-19.php3#MODAMPS

(From the above link)-
    ".......the BK modules are outstanding values, offering excellent specs for less money than most others. They also are reported to sound great......."

Bear in mind it's an American site and I think they know what makes a good power amp. Check out the prices!! More than double!! Makes the above statement even more impressive.

My initial fears are vanquished. I thought the modules were too crude for quality HiFi but that's not so.

I'll have 7 MF200's please. And another equipment rack. [​IMG]

I recommend reading the whole site- http://www.snippets.org/ldsg/index.php3

Cheers

7. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi General

I've gone down this route gradually ; integrated amp, integrated with some power amp upgrades, processor with power amps, processor with some channels bi-amped.

The gains do decrease but it's still the best and most flexible way of upgrading and maximising for sound quality.

(current setup is Lexicon, Musical Fidelity and Rotel power amps)

BUT - the possible gains are dictated or even limited by your speakers and, to a lesser extent, your source.

What is nice is to mix and match the power amps to suit your speakers and the processor to suit your taste in sound/facilities..

Second hand power amps are cheap and reliable [​IMG]

Have fun
    Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary Palmer (edited 01-04-2001).]

8. mark.king

mark.king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I started with a very good hi-fi amp (Audiolab) and I still havenot heard a full av amp sound as good so I bouht the dspe800
    and this sounds great with the audiolab

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    My hifi is in another room. I agree with you about that.
    AV and hifi should for now (if poss.) be kept apart.
    It will be a while before they get better.
    The priciples are the same though when it comes to power amps. Better sound hopefully.

------------------