1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Amps

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mutley, Dec 23, 2003.

1. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Interested in a power amp option for my system
    (currently pioneer 2011 + B&W 602 + LCR600 + Sonance RS1) but soon i'll add a processor (1066 or other in that range).

So need 5 chanels of amplification (B&W are to stay but maybe later upgrade to 700 séries).

Options:

Rotel 1095
    Rotel 1080 + 1075
    Parasound A52

And any other options you can recomend me...

I really don't know the prices of power amps except Rotel's...

Budget goes only as far as 2nd option (3000€ Here)

Thanks and show me more options i don't recall! :smashin:

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know a company called Cairn who should be active in your part of the world...... they have a multichannel power amp which is very nice and within your budget

ad

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    A bit over your budget, but the Arcam P7 is worth a look, it's very good value for money.

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    parasound halo a52/a51 are absolute bargains for what they are! you won't be dissapointed

5. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not heard Parasound so can't offer a comparison, but the 5 channel Bryston 9B is a significant step above the Rotels. This is reference amplificaion.

Recently bought one to drive my rears. Was actually on this forum for £1800 which at todays exchange is less than 3000EUR ??? These retail at £4k new but second hand examples occassionally come up.

These come with 20yr warranties so don't worry about 2nd hand purchases.

If you can find one, please don't overlook the quality of these.

Steve.

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I think B&W use Rotel for supplying the amplifiers used in their active speaker systems. This suggests that Rotel may have a synergy that others may not have (the 1095)?
    Another option is NAD. I think NAD make some great amplifiers and their poweramps seem to go unnoticed, even though they offer great value for money. NAD have recently released a seven channel poweramp called the T973. It's a monster amp that would certainly be on my audition list if I were you. Look here for more info.

Russell

7. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    there's almost no 2nd hand market here so that's a hard option.
    Bryston is something that will never get on a second hand market in Portugal...

I was thinking in brand new only due to this conditions...

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i wouldnt say that rotel and B&W would have any specific synergy...... in fact i wouldnt have gone to any special effort to match them! I suspect that the reason that B&W dont use something like bryston amps with their powered systems is simply that pmc already use them!

ad

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    B&W might use Rotel because they are part of B&W Group in the UK now, not Harman (International ?) anymore.

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well same idea..... point is they didnt choose the very best amp for their speakers, they chose what was available

ad

11. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Mutley - the Parasound A52 retails for GBP1700 here so it definately falls within your Euro3000 budget. Every review of Parasounds new Halo AV gear has been stellar so far and the company really deserves all the praise it's getting.

The Parasound would definately be my choice out of your 3 options. The 1095 is a fine amp [I used to own one of these] and probably represents better value for money than the Parasound as it outputs a lot more power. However the Parasound sounds better and has more than adequate output - even to drive the 700 series. Either one though would not be a bad choice given your budget.

Other amps if second hand is not an option would be mainly the Arcam P7 as Jeff has already mentioned. 7 channels of amplification so you can biamp your front stereo pair if you dont intend to go down the 7.1 route. I would guestimate that the P7 costs around Euro 3500 in Portugal so slightly over your budget.

I wouldn't add a Rotel 1066 though to your system...just use your 2011 as a processor until your ready to make the jump to something significantly better. Maybe upgrade your speakers first.

12. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    actually i'm not thinking on the 1066 but his sucessor, rumors say it will be showned at CES in January.

I need a processor with audio delay cause i get lip sync problems in my system (projector). And the 2011 doesn't have it. That's the ONLY thing that makes me think in buying a processor.
    If not i would stay with the 2011.

I know the AX5 has audio delay but i'm not going to give money to have the same receiver, only with the feature i need added...
    It's strange but...