• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Power amps with no 12v trigger - problem?

miguelbarroso

Hi there,

I'm looking for a 5 ch power amp to match with a TAG AV32R.

My budget is kinda' low, so 2nd hand market it is!

But lots of amps I see don't have 12v triggers. And I know, that it will stay on lots of times without being used (I tend to forget things that aren't remote controled)

My doubt is, how much current does the amp draw when there is no sound ?(eg, Rotel RB-985 MK II - I had an offer on one of these)

Cheers,

Miguel Barroso

O

olliemac

hello there. depending on the type of power amp you are using, there may be other ways to control the power going to the amp. if your processor has a 12v trigger, you could use a relay that switches the main power on and off as and when the processr is in use. the power lead to the amp would loop through the relay and the 12 v trigger would would swich it, thereby allowing the current thru and switching the amp on. depends on how comfortablee you are with relays though.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom