1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Amps for Tag AV32R

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by PFM, Jul 14, 2001.

1. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi folks

Im looking to research & price up, power amps for use with a Tag Mclaren AV32R.

Any reccomendations would be gratefully appreciated.

Do any of you fine folks out there know any web sites with such info (inclusive of retailers) that can give me:

1. specifications
    2. Approximate prices

Thanks

Paul :cool:

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want to be really silly.......take a very unconventional route and try out some Naim amplification. I toyed with the idea for a while before having to go and see what it was like.......fear was the over riding thought! Was using 3 Naim nap140's......which leaves a spair channel of course. The biggest hassle with the Naim is the connections.....ie. Naim like DIN connectors. But if you get past this......the sound is one to blow you away! You got to hear it to believe it! Being 3 separate power amps, its also easy to crank it up to window blowing out volumes without trouble! And if you happen to be not on neverending budget, the 140's are great.....cos they are mature these days, they pop up all over the place second hand. Try www.audio-t.co.uk

Of course, I am only talking from my experience, which isnt that great, but the combo with the Naims sounded great to my ears.

Adam

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Paul,

I've just bought a AV32R ex. I can tell you what I've got, but not how it sounds, as I don't pick it up till next week. I have a Rotel 993 for the front (3 x 200w) and 2 981s (4 x 130w) for the side and rear speakers. This seemed a good way to go without spending a fortune. The 993 was £699 from www.hifistore.co.uk and the 981s were £150 each second hand, so its cost me £1000. I use the Rotels in my current setup and they are great. Should sound teriffic with the AV32R.

Cheers Rob.

4. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I was about to ask the same question !
    I want to build a 7.1 setup with the AV32R, and would (of course) like to match it with 7 amps from TAG but the cost !
    So I am considering a 5channel THX from Rotel - the RB1075, but what to use for the extra two channels ?
    Rotel does the RB1070 (similar power) but not THX approved.
    Together these cost £1300 - not too bad for 7 channels !
    Anyone got these - how do they sound ?

Thanks
    Russ
    Any other sensible options

5. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Rob

Ill look into that, I am considering either the Rotel 985 mkII or the 1075.

Do you (or any one here) know if theres any great difference in the sound quality between the two, in order to justify the extra £100 or so outlay.

Im already going out on a limb to get the AV32R and so Im unsure whether or not to extend that to the power amp side.

What do ya think :cool:

6. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Looks like were in the same boat Russ :), a good point well raised.

Yeah I to will be looking to extend the base model Tag to 7.1, and so it begs the question are an extra 2 matching channels available for these 2 models or do I infact need to match them at all?

We could need some help from the likes of Gordon from Stereo Stereo, or Stuart M Robinson on this one.

Buns I looked at the Naims as you suggested, how did you get around the connection problem
    Re. Din - RCA ?

Were they custom made and If so what type of cable did you have them made from?

edited due to cr*p grammar

[ 15-07-2001: Message edited by: PFM ]

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Well I went through this one at the end of last year looking at several options for a 7.1 set up.

Not to beat around the bush the Tag power amp is a gem that most people haven't discovered yet however it is expensive. Below that the Rotel family, already discussed, are an excellent bet and you will not go too far wrong.

Don't get too hung up on THX for power amps. This is the area where the THX specification is very iffy. In fact Tag believe it is detrimental to sound so won't get their power amp certified, every other Tag AV component is. (THX insist on a single power transformer per chasis. Therefore a 7 chanel amp needs a single transformer just like a monoblock. Tag (and others) argue one for each chanel regardless of the number of chanels in the chasis.)

You are on the right lines with Rotel, though there are some other good solutions. My money would be with Rotel however. Hope this helps. I did try several alternatives, some really exotic (SE valve!) but Tag and Rotel seemed the safest bets.

8. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Paul,

The 1075 is a good amp by all accounts. 5 x 120w, as opposed to 5 x 100w for the 985. But you would have to find a simelar 2 channel for the other 2 rear speakers if you were thinking about 7.1. a 981 would be an obvious choice. I decided on 2 of these, so the rears were identically matched. I did look at the 1095, but I can't see the point in 200w to each of the rear channels. Of course a lot depends on what speakers you will be using. I am upgrading to the Kef TDMs. the fronts and centre are rated at 200w power handeling, and the rears 150w. This is why I chose the 993 and 981s .

Cheers Rob.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The connector problem is easily gotten around.....there are a number of cable manufacturers make DIN to RCA leads.....I know there are some at £40 each.....but i dont know if there are less......chord company i think.

I only listened to this array.....unfortunately I havent gotten it yet......though I am saving! It is always worth a listen, and on top of that.....you would end up with a top notch audiophile system too!

Adam

10. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Buns that sounds promising

As my HC system started life about 12 years ago as a hifi system and modestly progressed into audiofile territory.

Though I suspect I'd have to go for 2nd hand Naims due to cost implications.

Do you know of their approximate 2nd hand street price?

Saw one at Audio-T's site for I think £425

Another thing, are Marantz monoblocs any good and worth shortlisting?
    :cool:

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Second Hand with the likes of Naim, I have been told, is not a problem. Being a high end manufacurer, there isnt the same neglect and wear on the stuff because the owners are generally more careful then that! The general price seems to be between 4 to 500 for the nap 140, but this is a not bottom end amp.....despite being old! Depending on how much you want to spend, the nap90 might do just as well. But as always,let your ears guide you! I have talked to john from audio t reading.....if you ive him a bell im sure he ould fill you in on the cost and compatability issues, in fact i guess he will probbly tell you I am talking nonsense :D!!

Havent herd the marantz monos, but HCC quite liked them!

Adam

12. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Been out today to rtry and resolve this issue and this is what has been put to me: here goes...

I have been offered by my local dealer an Arcam Alpha 10P3 at a much reduced rate. As I already own an Alpha 10 (which I like the sound of) do you think it would be a viable route?

This dealer is also a Rotel dealer and after discussion of this problem suggested the 10P3 solution over the likes of the previously discussed Rotel 5 ch. & 3+2 ch. amps, and in his opinion would provide a much better sounding solution when compared to the Rotels (even though his price on the Rotels is greater than the deal he would do the Alpha 10P3).

Whats your thoughts folks... :cool:

PS. I didnt want to go down the Arcam DAVE route, because I dont believe that they cut the mustard in this area (with the Dave module) with reference to upgradability and product support (6 months after I bought my Apha 10 they rehashed it into an FMJ version and increased the price effectively leaving the Alpha 10 line dead in the water). However I still do like their amplification.

Any thoughts on any of the above would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Paul :cool:

13. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Interesting.
    I visited my local dealer over the weekend and again, although they dont stock, but can get Rotel, they suggested an Arcam Solution from the FMJ range (3 + 2 + 2) - however this is much more than the Rotels.

I guess the answer is to listen to both ! and then match the budget to the sound !

I would stick with the AV32R - its not new (1999) but compare the features today with those of the competition after all those upgrades

Russ!

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Stick with the AV32R. An order of magnitude better than Dave (and just about everything else). I prefered the Rotel amps over the Arcam personally but do like the Arcam DVD player and other kit. Mission is another good one that can be upgraded at a later date. I think I prefered the Mission over the Arcam though you will not be disappointed with any. I also looked at Myrad but thought Rotel had it.

15. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PFM

What is your budget?

16. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have every intention of sticking with the AV32R as the processor. This local dealer suggested I try the Alpha 10p3 as power amps fed by the Tag, that way I could (and would not have to ditch my existing Alpha 10 (2 channel amp)).

Thus I would have an Arcam amplification setup without the Dave module but using the Tag as aprocessor. Sorry if I didnt make myself clear.

Unfortunately I dont have a bank account in the same realm as Anthea Turner :rolleyes: So my budget isnt quite infinite. However I am prepared to pay enough to purchase the Tag (as a base unit)and get some reasonable amplification.

So what do ya think?
    Could this be the solution Im looking for?

Any thoughts please dip in :cool:

[ 16-07-2001: Message edited by: PFM ]

[ 17-07-2001: Message edited by: PFM ]