1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power amps for L&R or Centre speakers

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Londondecca, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
  2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do you really think the T-amp has enough power to give you a satisfactory performance?
    Your speakers seem fairly easy to drive but 20W (at clipping level!) is by no means enough for a home theater setup.

3. Relay

Relay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Go for it. I have 2 in addition to sonic impacts which first introduced me to these amazing tripath amps (the most recent arrived today 3 days after ordering). They address the extended bass and power limitations of the latter and cope easily with my B&W CDM 9NTs whilst maintaining, perhaps even improving on the precision, detail and musicality. I have contemplated building a AV system around these myself - 6 channel power amp for under £200 plus a bit of DIY.

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I accept you point but as I understand it the SR7400 is 105 watts and 6 channels which is roughly 17 watts per channel. I have a relatively small room and do not require massive amounts of power to achieve a satisfactory level. The modified T-amp is not being considered for an upgrade in power but in quality but it is possible the power limitations might be an issue.

My original question was really concerning the trial purchase of a t-amp to see how it would work out

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Unless I am mistaken it's (max.) 105 Watts per channel or at worst 105 Watt for two channels driven simultaenously.

Under normal listening conditions you only need a few Watt but you will be missing a lot of reserve (dynamic/headroom) when needed - in particular with movies this is IMHO important.

Ok.

Anyhow, I am not trying to talk you out of it, just wanted to highlight something in case you weren't aware of it. And let us know how it goes. :)

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Thank you for your information and insight. I will report back my findings. If it does not work out at least I have the start of a budget HiFi system

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Any news on this? is the sonic-t all its ment to be?

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Unfortunately I did not get a chance to buy them. My wife had this strange idea that the broken washing machine was more important than an amplifier :eek: But I have a feeling Santa may bring me one. :smashin:

If it does not work for AV use I will attach it to my DAC and run it as a HiFi amp using some kind of switch box.

As for the T-amp itself, this is a quote from TNT "In conclusion, I would strongly recommend an audition of any of the class-T amplifiers, particularly the Autocostruire and DiyParadise modules. Many audiophiles spend years improving their systems, making small improvements. Unless you already own very expensive amplification, you will probably find the class-T's a significant upgrade! And at the prices of even the most expensive example here, it really is an affordable upgrade. And with the cheapest costing not much more than a CD, there's no excuse not to"
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/tripath_amps_e.html