1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power amps and Processors

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Parmenion, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Could someone tell me how much difference there is when changing phono cables between a processor and a power amp?

I can obviously hear the difference when changing between the cables that come free with a CD player and my own more expensive set, I'm just not sure the difference exists for movies in a multi channel setup.

Can anyone share their experience of trying different cables and maybe suggest any particular favourites.........

Regards

Parmenion

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    There was a similar thread a few months ago.

I cannot remember what the resulting concensus was, but I think yeah better then a freebie, but to be honest IMHO it's going to be hard to really spot any differences over a £20 set of QED 1s or similar.

Yes if you spend £10,000 on your power amp you would probably want better :)

I've tried the 985 MK II with different combinations and they don't to my ears make any difference once you get a reasonable cable. If you have one set of decent interconnect try them and get a £10 or £20 set from RS on their 14 days sale or return thingy. Compare them and go from there.

It seems reasonable to me to try to get matching interconnects but beyond that they don't really need to be the dogs wibbly wobbly bits. (No, not the bits around a labradors tummy (they are just plain lazy), I mean the other bits)!!

Steff