Power amplifier rating for surround speakers

VoodooDoctor

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 5.1 MA Platinums surround powered by 3 Leema Hydra amplifiers rated at 285w into 4 ohms. The centre channel is biamped.

As I have an onkyo 5509 preamp, I have been considering installing the other surround sound channels. I already have 2 MA Apex speakers with stands that I could use either for rears or wides. I would either get more MA Apex or Mass speakers for the other channels (including heights).

My question is about the power amplifier for the surrounds. Would I need to get one that is rated to the same power as the hydras or would going lower (and cheaper) be ok?

I have 5.1 MA Platinums surround powered by 3 Leema Hydra amplifiers rated at 285w into 4 ohms. The centre channel is biamped.

As I have an onkyo 5509 preamp, I have been considering installing the other surround sound channels. I already have 2 MA Apex speakers with stands that I could use either for rears or wides. I would either get more MA Apex or Mass speakers for the other channels (including heights).

My question is about the power amplifier for the surrounds. Would I need to get one that is rated to the same power as the hydras or would going lower (and cheaper) be ok?
Going lower would be fine and cheaper. In fact going way lower would be fine, and probably way cheaper.

Thanks both. Any recommendations?

Anything really, its the least critical part of your system. Since the rears are likely to be close to your sitting position, they really don't much power. However, it also means that an amp with a low noise floor is desirable. NuForce and CinePro spring to mind.

nick

Have you heard some surround soundtracks these days?

I would want the same level of gain, if not quite the same power, as many full on blockbuster route similar information to all channels. Granted, you will probably set the surrounds as small and let your sub take some of the load, but I think you will miss a lack of grunt if you trade off too much power.

I'd be pretty confident about an Emotiva amp - my XPA-5 did really well in my power amp shoot out thread in this forum. Check out the spec sheets though - it may have higher gain than other power amps, 32 vs 29dB, something like that.

Nick

I would want the same level of gain, if not quite the same power, as many full on blockbuster route similar information to all channels.
Gain doesn't matter too much - small surround speakers tend to have lower sensitivity than main speakers anyway, and the controller can cope with that quite easily with per-channel level adjustments.

Nick

I have ordered the Emotiva UPA-700 from the USA. They have a sale on at the moment. Already dispatched so should soon be experimenting with the extra channels.

I have ordered the Emotiva UPA-700 from the USA. They have a sale on at the moment. Already dispatched so should soon be experimenting with the extra channels.

Hi,

Congrats! What is that going to cost after shipping & all the taxes, fees & charges have been applied?

Suave!

That looks like a great choice for driving surround channels,I have been very satisfied with my Emotiva amp,please let us all know what you think of it.

Hi,

Congrats! What is that going to cost after shipping & all the taxes, fees & charges have been applied?

Suave!

To give you an idea of what a XPA-5 may cost. Right now it is $809 USD to purchase.
The shipping will be approx $235 USD.

Add these two together, convert to GBP, then add approx 24% to cover Duty & VAT.

If you are lucky you may only pay Duty & VAT on the purchase price, excluding shipping costs, which is a bonus.

You will pay Emotiva via Paypal invoice for the item and shipping. Duty & VAT is paid to the shipping company who will invoice you some 10 - 14 days after you take delivery.

Hope that helps ;)

Arrived today but it's going to be a little while until I can get it all hooked up. Think I'll be doing a whole system tidy up and rewiring.

I felt the cost compared to what is available in the UK was worth a punt.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom