Power Amplifier Question

forever

Little bit of advise please folks, i have a NAD T778, it has built in amplification for 2 atmos height speakers, but i want to run 4 front and rear, i am about to purchase a NAD 268 power amplifier todo this, my question is as that is a powerful amp would it be better to use this to power my large front floor standers? Is that even possible? Many thanks...

Marshall Mike

What’s your base layer setup? 5.1 or 7.1?

The NAD will do 5.1.4 with its own amplification, just reassign the surround back amps as height 2.

If you’re looking at 7.1.4 then an external power amp is needed. I don’t have one myself, but you can run whatever speakers you want to the power amp from the NADs preouts. Which speakers you choose to run off the power amp will likely depend on the spec of the power amp you choose.

forever

I think my key question is
1. Would it be better dynamically to power the large front speakers via the power amp 300w per channel (well the one i am looking at) vs a pair of height via the internal 778 power amplification then a pair via the power amp.

2. Can the 778 adjust the internal power amplification so that the front amp be used for the height ampflication.

Marshall Mike

Only the rear surround amps can be reassigned to heights. Even if you could reassign the front amp channels I don’t see what the benefit would be, I think all the internal amps are the same.

I think if it were me I would be looking at a power amp for the front three, with the NAD powering the surrounds. But to my knowledge you could do any configuration you want, a cheaper amp just to power the heights for example. Or you could run every speaker from a power amp. Depends how much you want to spend.

Marshall Mike

Apologies, I just realised I was wrong with what I was saying. As you are running 7.1, the PA must be used to run the height 2 speakers. That’s why you want to reassign the front L/R. My suggestion of a PA for the front 3 (L/C/R) won’t work as it still doesn’t free up the internal amps for the second pair of heights.

If you buy the two channel amp you’ve updated your first post with, you’ll need to use it for the height 2 speakers. Looks like overkill to me given the price and power spec.

Perhaps look for a 4 or 5 channel amp. With a good 5 channel amp you could run the front 3 as well as the height 2 speakers.

forever

Thanks you are right probably overkill, hence why it would have been good to use it for the floor standers, problem is i have been watch the classifieds for bit and to be fair not much coming up or cheap enough over buying this :)

Marshall Mike

What’s the budget? Have you looked at Emotiva? They seem to be a popular choice.

Zarf2007

These are decent if you can increase your budget:

dlaloum

Based on the All channels driven spec of the T778, you get more power from that, than you would from the C268... (not by much 85W vs 80W) - there is not much to be gained.

If you want to get a serious improvement from an external Power Amp, you need to be looking at something that is around double the power or more - and the costs can quickly escalate, unless you go used, and/or use pro power amps (eg: Behringer A800, Crown XLS).

The C268 seems like a reasonable option for the last pair of height speakers - but you could even economise and go for something cheaper .... 40W would probably do the job.

Save your $$ for a more serious Power Amp at a later date.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom