Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Power amp???

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by StAnToN, Jul 2, 2003.

1. StAnToN

StAnToN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi M8ys

ive currenlty got a Pioneer 2011 receiver and was entertaining the thought of getting a power amp do you think its worth getting or shoul i just stick with just the Pioneer 2011 on its own??

im using Kef Q Series speakers and was thinking about a Rotel power amp?

thanks

StAnToN

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Stanton.

A good power-amp will indeed serve you well, the Pioneers have something of a reputation for being slightly "weak" when put under stress.
    Adding a power amp will bring several benefit's to include, even tonality when things get rough, improved bass definition and a general openess to the sound-stage, not to mention improved 2 channel stereo performance.
    Adding a power amp to an integrated A.V unit is a common path that most enthusiast's end up taking, to add a processor to the power amp at a later date.
    Pretty much anything from Arcam, Audiolab, Musical Fidelity, Roksan, Rotel, Tag will bring definate gains at moderate prices.

Regards

Steven.

3. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Slightly different approach, I added a A85 intergrated stereo AMP to improve music, this also has the side benefit if removing the need for the 2011 to drive the front L&R's and also open ups the path for changing my L&R to 4 ohm speakers.

My next upgrade will be to bi-amp the fronts and then eventually move to a processor / power amp setup (space allowing).

Adding the A85 gave me more benefits for the money IMO than just adding a 5/7 chanel power amp.

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Do you Just want a 2ch amp for front speakers to give gains in stereo or are you after a multi channel?

5. StAnToN

StAnToN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    im after a multi chanel power amp i was thinking something along the lines of a Rotel RB 985 but im not sure if its gonna be worth it any ideas power amp whats a good one to go for?

thanks

StAnToN

6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Marantz did a multi channel power amp MM9000 which has only just disappeared from their web site it is a 5 Channel 140 Watt THX Approved unit, and it has Variable Gain for each input (via potentiometer next to RCA input) the reason this is good for you is that you can adjust the gain so it is the same as your 2011 and Bi-Amp up to five of your speakers. It was designed to complement the AV9000 (£2000 when new), so it cant be a bad amp, and it is flexible enough to last you a while. I have seen these for £650 http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/warehouse/details.asp?ProductID=MARMM9000 Marantz Recommended Retail was £800.

It’s only a suggestion but it is an amp that is often overlooked and I can vouch for the sound quality of the Marantz power stuff
    :smashin: