1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Will18, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Will18

Will18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a little confused on the whole power amp thing so be gentle, i'm currently running some M33 Mission speakers from an Sony STR DB930, would it be worth getting a power amp? also I see some power amps have like for example 60W output, the DB930 outputs 100 per channel so would I need to get an amp with a power rating over 100W to notice a difference?

Thanks in advance

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    A power amp is just the amplification secion, it just amplifies what ever signal it is sent from a decoder/pre-amp and as such you would need a processor or an a/v reciever to do all the decoding for DD/DTS ect...

I would think that your amp will be more than enough to drive the floorstanders.

The quality of the sound is more important than the power provided. Also the 100 watts/channel thing on an integrated reciever is misleading as most will never really achieve that (with all channels driven). A power amp that says 100watts/channel actualy means that and will drive the speakes at that very happily.

I would say if your happy with the reciever but you want a more control/power from your system, then buying a power amp will be a better upgrade than buying a new reciever. Unfortunatily it will also be more expensive than a new reciever. If your happy with your sound, there is no need to upgrade or if you feel your speakers lack bass (hence why you could want more power) then you might be better of buying a sub, as it would cost less than give a better effect.

You could get mono blocks (a single channel amplifier), one for each speaker that you feel could benifit, this would work out cheaper than a power amp because you only need as many monoblocks as you feel you need.

If value for money is more of a concern (and when is it not?) then it could be cheaper to upgrade to a higher reciever with better internal amps. Something like a yammy 1500/2500, denon 2805/3805, or possibly the new marantz (7500/8500) as marantz are known for having good internal amps.

If you can get a deal on a power amp though that would most certainly sound better than an integrated reciever.

If you choose to upgrade, what ever path you pick it will be more expenisve and as such it's often worth thinking if you need it or even notice a difference from your current set up.