1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Woofer, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Woofer

Woofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a power amplifier to drive 2 speakers that are at least 250 Watts each so at least 500 Watt total power is required. Ideally something 1000 watts so I can give them short term burst power etc. when required. I am wondering what I can get for as cheap as possible that does the job required, the speakers are going to be used for listening to music that contains bass i.e. trance and some R & B.

Any advice would be helpful. - Oh second hand of course and budget lets say advice for:

£100 region

£200 region

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think you're probably getting a bit misled there.....just beacuse the speakers will handle a maximum of 250W does not mean that you need an amplifier of 500W per channel to drive it with.

What's much more important is the quality of the sound delivered,up to a reasonable maximum SPL in an average home.

It's also worth considering that for your budget,you aren't going to get a decent 500W per channel amplifier....perhaps if you tell us what speakers you are using,then we can give some more useful advice,and perhaps also without breaking your budget too severely.

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1000 watts at short term at maximum, do you no longer have use for your ear drums ;)

or is this the 1000 watts at 15% distortion type measurement