Power amp upgrade

Lensman5d

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have been running a Rotel RB 1552 Mk ii to power front left & right in my home theatre. After three years the upgrade itch is back, so wondering g if this is a ‘weak’ link in my system?
main processor is a Yamaha RS-a3050 feeding B&W speakers all round, specifically CM8 S2 up front. paired with 2 Rel S5 subs as a stereo pair.
what would you suggest I audition and why?
Rotel reviews are consistently good but with the caveat of “for the price”.
I could dump the lot and go pre / power Yamaha. but that is around £4500. I would rather buy a 4 k projector to replace my epson 7200....
and around and around my wallet and wishes go.
thoughts ?

Attachments

• 68FC3EC1-4E4A-4EB5-96DC-4DE0C5AB07C0.jpeg
    68FC3EC1-4E4A-4EB5-96DC-4DE0C5AB07C0.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
A thought occurs deep in the night....
what if I bought a JBL and used it with my Rotel.
rotel powers front L&R
jbl does the 5 surrounds
the yamaha 3050 does the 4 Atmos and 3 subs - which have their own built in amps
this takes the majority of the amplification away from the av unit.
is this:
brilliant why haven’t I done this befor
obvious, everyone does it but we don’t tell anyone
incredibly stupid as it will sound like a donkey farting down a well

and while we are at it, JBL? Aren’t they bottom rung car stereo / nasty music box stuff?
i can’t find reviews on the unit.
more info very much appreciated.

Using multiple power amps from one processor is very common and a good idea, generally, as long as the power amp can offer better / cleaner power than the AVR that you are using as a processor. And the processor is able to output the correct level of voltage to drive the power amp(s) to full power.

There is a discussion on that JBL power amp here:

Apparently Floyd Toole uses one in his home set-up:

A thought occurs deep in the night....
what if I bought a JBL and used it with my Rotel.
rotel powers front L&R
jbl does the 5 surrounds
the yamaha 3050 does the 4 Atmos and 3 subs - which have their own built in amps
this takes the majority of the amplification away from the av unit.
is this:
brilliant why haven’t I done this befor
obvious, everyone does it but we don’t tell anyone
incredibly stupid as it will sound like a donkey farting down a well

and while we are at it, JBL? Aren’t they bottom rung car stereo / nasty music box stuff?
i can’t find reviews on the unit.
more info very much appreciated.

JBL cater for all types, cheap Bluetooth speakers all the way up to commercial cinemas.

The amp that @Rambles has linked to certainly looks good.

Personally I’d go for something with XLR inputs to give you this option if you change processors further down the line, but it wouldn’t be a deal breaker as easy to get RCA to XLR cables.

JBL cater for all types, cheap Bluetooth speakers all the way up to commercial cinemas.

The amp that @Rambles has linked to certainly looks good.

Personally I’d go for something with XLR inputs to give you this option if you change processors further down the line, but it wouldn’t be a deal breaker as easy to get RCA to XLR cables.
Do XLR cables really have that extra sounds quality over RCA? I don’t think it does...

Do XLR cables really have that extra sounds quality over RCA? I don’t think it does...

Nope, but my processor won’t accept RCA 😎

and around and around my wallet and wishes go.
To be blunt, the Rotel RB 1552 Mk ii (if working to it original specification) is more than capable of powering your B&W CM8 S2's - or better speakers. I would therefore suggest that you are suffering more from upgraditis (the irrational urge to spend money on new equipment to no benefit) than from any real need to improve the power amplification.

By not spending money on an unnecessary replacement of electronics, you could at least alleviate your cash flow concern, and possibly even have money left over to get the 4K projector, which brings a real advantage in projecting UHD source material.

To be blunt, the Rotel RB 1552 Mk ii (if working to it original specification) is more than capable of powering your B&W CM8 S2's - or better speakers. I would therefore suggest that you are suffering more from upgraditis (the irrational urge to spend money on new equipment to no benefit) than from any real need to improve the power amplification.

By not spending money on an unnecessary replacement of electronics, you could at least alleviate your cash flow concern, and possibly even have money left over to get the 4K projector, which brings a real advantage in projecting UHD source material.
I have rolled the question around in my head and pretty much agree. Also I have finally replaced the living room tv with a new Bravia oled. This is currently leading my wallet toward a 4K projector. You are quite correct, I am looking for a chance to spend on new toys, there is nothing wrong with what I have 🤣
I watched 1917 and the room was shaking, so I don’t exactly lack power, the detail was excellent too. So yes, just looking for toys is quite accurate.
now, a 4K projector.... mmm 🧐

Good grief! I just found the JBL website! Not exactly what I thought it was 😳
is it a case of I am too poor for the advertising to hit me? 🤣🤣🤣

I guess it’s like those who thought JVC only do cheap in car audio and boom boxes, simply because paths have never crossed

JBL are a very serious Pro and domestic audio Co part of Harman. Check out their pro cinema speakers I’ve always wanted a 4642A 😬 but my house just isn’t big enough 🙄

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom