Power amp to pair with LS50 for a newbie

Boulieboude

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All - first post here and reasonably little experience in this rabbit hole! Hoping for a little guidance through the myriad of options

The situation;
  1. Have a pair of LS50 paired with a Cambridge Audio Azure 640A
  2. Yamaha WXC50 acting as preamp/DAC/streamer
  3. Small room of 4m x 5m
  4. Very varied musical taste but I tend to listen loudish
The sound is pleasant esp with upper midrange (female vocals) and up but there's something missing. Rock and powerful classical just lacks presence and excitement.

As I want to keep the Yamaha (whole house Musiccast system) I don't need the bells and whistles of an integrated amp I had thought of getting a simple power amp that will stay with me for years. DAC/streamer technology will change but hopefully not so much the basics.

I'm into secondhand and had spotted a Linn C2100 (always wanted a Linn since schooldays) or Quad 606. Budget is tight right now - probably about 500BP tops.

Any ideas gratefully received.

The quad every time sir.

The LS50s have become legendary for their love of current. They need power to get from them what they do best.

The quad will happily supply all it needs.

And a couple more for you to consider.

The 640 is an excellent budget amp, but not up to the standard required by the Kefs.

These most certainly are.

A particularly impressive bargain here;

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks,
Thought the Quad had the grunt and that 651W looks criminally cheap (shame not to buy it at that price). Any thoughts on the Linn C2100?

I don’t know a great deal about Linn amps. But I do think they are a bit overpriced.

It would depend on the price imo.

My money would probably go to the Quad. Unflappable, current to burn, and still routinely serviced by Quad in the UK.

And I wouldn’t ignore the Audiolab. It also has an unfeasable power supply and all the current the Kefs will need.

...and of course the 651 with a warranty and power to spare...

It would be a tough choice between those three. The CA is an amazing price for such a beast.

I think we're on the same page. Its quite difficult to find any real reviews on any of these being older pre-youtube units let alone how they pair with the LS50s.

Quad - no replacement for displacement lump of copper
651W - stupid price, like my existing CA (but I have very limited things to compare to)
Audiolab - will have to look into, appears slim but weighs 10kg
Linn - emotional choice from when I was younger, found one for 350 quid ( Linn C2100 Stereo Power Amplifier | eBay

Hmm, more thinking and research apparently

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The Chakra amp seems to have a limited input voltage before clipping, assuming I’m reading the specs right.

This may or may not be a problem for you as the full 2V of the Yamahas output will not be used in preamp mode unless you need your ears to bleed.

The CA has a relatively high input requirement, better suited imo for a greater volume control range and less likelihood of overloading the inputs. As does the Audiolab and Quad.

It’s alway a risk buying used, but power amps are the least important influence on the sound you’ll hear.

Room and speakers first, preamp and source next and power amp last.

The qualifier to the above statement is it assumes the power amp has enough current and a robust enough power supply for the speakers, room, and volume requirements of the owner.

The Quad, 651, Audiolab and the Cyrus certainly do (unless you live in a genuine castle banquet hall?), but I’m not sure about the Linn.

It’s quoted power out put is 56W into 8ohms and around 100 into 4ohms.

Compared to the Quads for instance: 120W into 8ohms and over 200 into 4ohms, with instant current being it’s reason for existence. And if you like it really loud the the Kefs could use every watt into peak bursts.

And the Audiolab that can swing 40 amps... 😳.

So as the Linn has appreciably less output than the others mentioned here, And as the Kefs are current hungry, and as you like it loud, it would be my last choice.

A pity you can’t hear it at home first.

Just get a modern well-specced power amp, and preferably a sub to go along with it. Easily achievable with the Yamaha WXC50.

1656656733218.png

Under £500 for the two and will completely transform your listening experience. You need plenty of power to drive the LS50s, but if you push too much into the 5.5" mid-woofer it will start to crackle. You will never be able to get enough bass from it for loud listening.

Last edited:
Apparently the LS50 and a sub's a cracking combo. However, if it's still a power amp that you want, you could do worse than one of these. Especially for the money.

Apparently the LS50 and a sub's a cracking combo. However, if it's still a power amp that you want, you could do worse than one of these. Especially for the money.

I've got one of these, a powerful and tiny wee thing that properly gets a grip of speakers as it has a massive damping factor - I'd definitely add a sub to the LS50's also.

PXL_20220118_110231881.jpg

That XTZ has loads of positive reviews as does the Crown XLS. I realise that all my options will add more control and slam to the low end I think I'm struggling with what else they'll bring to the party. I might've overstated the listening loud (its relative after all); my existing is way loud enough its a bit of excitement thats lacking. Also future proofing is a thing - whats my upgrade path etc.

Oh and yes I do overthink things.

I use an audiolab 8200p and what I like about it is that even when listening at lower volumes it never sounds thin and undynamic. My previous amp marantz 6004 (which I still have) was lacking at lower volume.

That XTZ has loads of positive reviews as does the Crown XLS. I realise that all my options will add more control and slam to the low end I think I'm struggling with what else they'll bring to the party. I might've overstated the listening loud (its relative after all); my existing is way loud enough its a bit of excitement thats lacking. Also future proofing is a thing - whats my upgrade path etc.

Oh and yes I do overthink things.
I'd say the XTZ is neutral sounding, detailed with good soundstage and excellent bass response/control and quite dynamic - it doesn't seem to add anything to the signal it receives.
I've added a sub back into my system recently (but I have the ability to low pass filter, so depending on what I set the crossover at only the sub sees the lowest frequencies which in turn means the amp/speakers don't have to deal with them) Adding a sub to your system (I don't think the Yamaha has low/high pass filtering, just a sub out?) means you'll be augmenting the bass of the LS50 so the amp and speakers will still need to deal with the lowest frequency capability of the speakers - it's really opened up the soundstage for me, more air/better separation/more enjoyable listen.

Slam tends to happen in the 50-100hz range, your KEF's can reproduce that range no problem but the drivers are small and your amp might not have the oomph or it might not be in the recording at all - bigger speakers/more powerful amp or a sub dedicated to those frequencies would help. Or a headphone set-up.

gjmky.jpg

Thanks Steve,
Yeah the Yamaha doesn't have much at all in the EQ stakes, I believe the Crown has a low pass and hi pass. I noticed that all reviews of the XTZ were noting its neutrality with Audio Science Review being unenthusiastic. a Few mentioned the word lean/thin which is the opposite of what I'd like in this room.

I noticed an hour ago the WXC-50 sub out so I'll take the little sub out of the living room and have a play. Afraid the room is not big enough to take larger speakers. I'd heard the Azur 640 wpc rating was optimistic hence looking at hitting it with some power now.

It may just be down to me liking the Focals I bought last month more -they are in the living room now.

I use an audiolab 8200p and what I like about it is that even when listening at lower volumes it never sounds thin and undynamic. My previous amp marantz 6004 (which I still have) was lacking at lower volume.
The CA 651W and the 8200P are currently topping the list with some sites making very positive noises when paired with the LS50s.

The CA 651W and the 8200P are currently topping the list with some sites making very positive noises when paired with the LS50s.
They are very similar in specification and I'm sure that they'll both drive the ls50 no problem, they both go to 150w @4ohms.

Thought it'd be nice to thank you all for the input and round it off for others in a similar position. Unfortunately for all the amp suggestions while I was polishing the fence with my ass they went quite quickly but ...

Did get lucky with a very nearly new BK XLS 200 sub in a lovely gloss black to match the LS50s. That made a really big difference immediately; after a little tuning in the bass was much improved not just in volume but texture and punch. If you've a pair of LS50s I think this is the quickest improvement you can make.

After a little agonising, a lot of review reading and a little luck I snagged a Peachtree Nova 125 integrated for 280 quid; 250 wpc @ 4 ohms. Only got it today but and still experimenting but damn what a difference. Suddenly the LS50s are alive; the improvement is night and day in every regard the KEFs are producing super solid tight bass whether it be Billie Eilish, Metallica or Elgar with loads of texture and control. So the KEFs can do it, can live up to the reviews if you hit them hard enough.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom