Power amp suggestions please

lovegroova

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The scenario:

I am currently using a Rotel RMB1095 power amp with my TAG AV32R, powering B&W Nautilus 805 Signatures (L+R), B&W Nautilus HTM2 (C) and B&W CDM2SEs (Surr).

It does sound great, as you would expect. Howver, I am currently looking at upgrading amplification for the front 3 to a Krell KAV250a/3. This sounds wonderful with bags of oomph and wonderful control.

However, this would leave me needing amplification for the surrounds (given that I will sell the Rotel). This is where you guys come in.

All I need is something that will work well, I don't need the matching Krell KAV250a/2, for example! I want to spend as little as possible but want decent quality. Also, something of normal or slightly shallow height would be useful in order to leave sufficient room for ventilation in my rack.

So far I have been looking at the Rotel RB03 (seen for as little as £200), or perhaps the RB1070 (£600 or so). Any other suggestions? (I am happy to go ex-dem or 2nd hand)

I just got a Bel Canto eVo 6 for the front and center channels, will keep a pair of Bryston Powerpacs 120 for the surround, try to find a 3B ST used, if you want some quality, otherwise just any used setreo power you can get your hands on... :smoke:

Sticking with rotel what about a second hand 985 MKII or 1075.

I've seen a 985MKII on eBay going witha buy it now of £260... that way you have spare channels high power and cheap. Cannot really go wrong with one of them. Especially at that price. Pick it up in person so you can test it before you buy it and hey presto!!

booktrunk aka Steff

Originally posted by booktrunk
Sticking with rotel what about a second hand 985 MKII or 1075.

I've seen a 985MKII on eBay going witha buy it now of £260... that way you have spare channels high power and cheap. Cannot really go wrong with one of them. Especially at that price. Pick it up in person so you can test it before you buy it and hey presto!!

booktrunk aka Steff

Thanks, but I only want a 2 channel amp (the Krell has 3) if I wanted 5 I'd keep the 1095. Also, the amp is for the rears only so doesn't need to be maga.

I am drawn to the Rotel RB03/1050/1070, all of which are very reasonably priced (unlike the Krell!)

See if you can find a second hand 991THX (200wpc), I used to own one of these. Bags of power for very little outlay.

Originally posted by lowrider
I just got a Bel Canto eVo 6 for the front and center channels, will keep a pair of Bryston Powerpacs 120 for the surround, try to find a 3B ST used, if you want some quality, otherwise just any used setreo power you can get your hands on... :smoke:

Trouble is second hand Bryston equipment is as rare as hens teeth. I know, I've been looking.

Originally posted by vizslaraner
Trouble is second hand Bryston equipment is as rare as hens teeth. I know, I've been looking.

You are right, my Brystons have a long line of buyers, even before I decided I wanted to keep the Bel Canto, wich, by the way, is a winner too, I love the sound, and it is only one day old yet... :clap:

Well, having had the Krell for a week now, I have decided to stick with the Rotel after all. Yes, the Krell is better, but I cannot justify the outlay at present.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Good for you. Sometimes I think we audiophiles and videophiles go for name rather tahn what we hear.

I accept that the Krell maybe better than the Rotel but how much better is always a debate. I went through something similar comparing the Rtoel RMB 1095 to the 5 channel Meridian amp(can't remeber the name) , from what I heard it was difficult to justify paying the extra for the meridian.

The meridian was batter in certain departments but not enough to make me part with my cash for it over the Rotel.

I auditioned some PMC OB1's; the system used being Denon 2900 - Denon 3803 - Rotel 1090 - OB1's. (Actually, I started out with the FB1's, but as good as they are they're no real match).

Anyway, I was so impressed I've now got the above, apart from the Rotel; that's been substituted with a Meridian 559 - an immaculate ex dem. model from Glasgow Audio that, I believe, I got at a steal. (Oh, and I've also added an Arcam 92T for 2 channel audio).

I'm now quite happy, though I must confess I really would like to try a Bryston, and preferably the 14BSST. The guys at Worcester Hi-Fi keep banging on about it being the greatest thing since sliced bread; as good, if not better, than anything made by Krell.

Ooh, this might be lucky - just joined today, and Lo! I want a 1095. I have a 993 and a 991 (200 WPC stereo)

Maybe we could sort a deal? mail me @ [email protected].

was going to suggest a 991 anyways, but maybe now i can biamp my fronts..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom