Power Amp Required?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by murraypops21, Aug 26, 2018.

1. murraypops21

murraypops21
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

Long time viewer but first post!

Hoping somebody can give me some help. I'm intending to upgrade my old RP1 turntable, Cambridge audio Topaz A10 and mercury v1 speakers = Rega Planar 6 with ania, Fono mc pre amp, Rega Brio amp and Dynaudio Emit m10 speakers.

However, am I going to get any real benefit from the brio? or if I'm only really using the power section would I be better sticking with the topaz a10?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you are talking about the new brio as there was an older one about.
    1- you will be using the brio preamp section as the fono mc is only a head-amp not to be confused with a pre-amp.
    2- the brio is a better beast than topaz A10 - the topaz was only an entry level.
    3- don't know about the turntable side, an OK turntable, setup right, sounds a lot better than a £2K turntable, setup wrong! for as long as the turntable is not crap, setting up is everything.
    the ARM however is a different kettle of fish altogether.

3. murraypops21

murraypops21
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

So I'm guessing the rega planar 6, fono MC, topaz a10, emit 10 wouldn't exactly work then? Cheers

4. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "wouldn't work" is too harsh!
    everything works, it is a question of what works better, isn't it?
    your question, as I understood it was, Topaz or Brio?
    I said Brio, that's all.
    Indeed you can do even better, if you already haven't parted with any cash, to get an amp with a good MC head-amp built in, rather than going for a two box option.
    I mean spending all that much on the frontend, deserves equal investment on amplification too.
    I can not recommend anything, but usually one gets a better value in a one box option.
    Get a friendly dealer who allows you to audition before you buy, this is not a microwave you buy from the net.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    What is the cost of those components?. I can certainly look them up ..but... so can you.

What are the dimensions of the room?

Perhaps we can help you strike a better balance.

And what is the point of buying the Rega Brio if that is not the amp you need? Between the BRIO and the cost of a typical Power Amp, you will likely have well over £1000 in just the amps.

Why not just by the Rega ELEX R (73w/ch, £949) or the considerably more expensive Rega ELICIT R (105w/ch, £1695)?

https://www.hifix.co.uk/rega-elex-r-amplifier

https://www.hifix.co.uk/rega-elicit-r-amplifier

The Rotel RA-1572 with DAC, Phono, Networking, Bluetooth, and 120w/ch is about £1395.

Rotel RA-1572 Integrated Amplifier

How much can you spend on a Power Amp, and are you SURE the very small Brio has Pre-Amp output?

Give us a working budget and let us see if we can come up with something better?

Steve/bluewizard

6. AVB83

AVB83
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Murraypops21, I'm looking into the same setup with Rega planar 6/ania, Fono mc preamp, Rega Brio(2017) and Dynaudio emit M10 ?
    Did you end up getting such a setup? If yes, are you happy with it? any modifications that you would recommend?